Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Emanuel Ortega, 21-year-old footballer, dies after suffering horrific head injury
Emrecan_58 9 years ago Edited
Besiktas 149 3375

Emanuel Ortega, the 21-year-old Argentinian footballer who suffered a fractured skull on May 4 while playing for San Martin de Burzaco against Juventud Unida, died on Thursday as a result of his injuries.

Ortega was playing for San Martín de Burzaco in Argentina's fifth tier when he challenged for the ball by the touchline. He lost his balance in the physical battle and crashed head first into a concrete wall that separated the crowd from the pitch.
Despite receiving immediate medical treatment and being rushed to hospital, Ortega died early on Thursday morning - nearly two weeks after sustaining the double skull fracture - after surgery couldn't save the midfielder.

And a heartbreaking Facebook post has emerged, written by the player in 2012, where he reveals that football was his life:
*"Perhaps I won't ever play football professionally," he wrote. "Maybe I will, or maybe as an amateur, but when I go for each ball I am going to die, when my legs say STOP, my heart says CONTINUE."
"The difference between me and professionals is that when my boots break, I don't change them, I spent all night tidying them up and gluing them back together so I can play again because it is what I love."
"Football is my LIFE, not only a past-time, it is what makes me forget everything else, and I will give my life for it.
"The day that I can't play anymore, that is where my life ends."*

Should be considered to take precautions in lower tiers to avoid these kind of injuries.

Devastating news. RIP.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Emanuel Ortega, the 21-year-old Argentinian footballer who suffered a fractured skull on May 4 while playing for San Martin de Burzaco against Juventud Unida, died on Thursday as a result of his injuries.

Ortega was playing for San Martín de Burzaco in Argentina's fifth tier when he challenged for the ball by the touchline. He lost his balance in the physical battle and crashed head first into a concrete wall that separated the crowd from the pitch.

Despite receiving immediate medical treatment and being rushed to hospital, Ortega died early on Thursday morning - nearly two weeks after sustaining the double skull fracture - after surgery couldn't save the midfielder.

And a heartbreaking Facebook post has emerged, written by the player in 2012, where he reveals that football was his life:

"Perhaps I won't ever play football professionally," he wrote. "Maybe I will, or maybe as an amateur, but when I go for each ball I am going to die, when my legs say STOP, my heart says CONTINUE.

"The difference between me and professionals is that when my boots break, I don't change them, I spent all night tidying them up and gluing them back together so I can play again because it is what I love.

"Football is my LIFE, not only a past-time, it is what makes me forget everything else, and I will give my life for it.

"The day that I can't play anymore, that is where my life ends."

Should be considered to take precautions in lower tiers to avoid these kind of injuries.

Devastating news. RIP.

"Perhaps I won't ever play football professionally," he wrote.
"Maybe I will, or maybe as an amateur, but when I go for each ball I am going to die, when my legs say STOP, my heart says CONTINUE."
"The difference between me and professionals is that when my boots break, I don't change them, I spent all night tidying them up and gluing them back together so I can play again because it is what I love."
*"Football is my LIFE, not only a past-time, it is what makes me forget everything else, and I will give my life for it.*"The day that I can't play anymore, that is where my life ends."

Should be considered to take precautions in lower tiers to avoid these kind of injuries. Devastating news. RIP.

"Perhaps I won't ever play football professionally," he wrote.
"Maybe I will, or maybe as an amateur, but when I go for each ball I am going to die, when my legs say STOP, my heart says CONTINUE."
*"Football is my LIFE, not only a past-time, it is what makes me forget everything else, and I will give my life for it.*"The day that I can't play anymore, that is where my life ends."

Devastating news. RIP.

Comments
tiki_taka 9 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

rip

raimondo90 9 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

Its incredible how matches are allowed when the wall is within a yard from the field. How was this not forseen? The only good to take from this, if there is anything, is that he passed away doing what he truly loved. Not many people are that lucky.

decentK 9 years ago
Arsenal 38 2896

rip

Jimbet 9 years ago
Arsenal, Malaysia 12 1292

wow. RIP to him.

tuan_jinn 9 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

Rip :(

quikzyyy 9 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

Sad how footballers die today at so young age.. Agree with what @raimondo stated

CroatiaFan123 9 years ago
Arsenal, Croatia 66 2775

R.I.P.

Another sad case.