Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Does Loyalty Mean Anything in Football Anymore?
Footaholic 12 years ago
Arsenal, Egypt 178 2277

At the risk of sounding like a grumpy old man longing for the nostalgic days of yore, I frequently ask myself: what exactly is becoming of our sport? I came across these quote from ESPN today that spurred me to write about this issue:
"Pogba, meanwhile [has finalized his move to] Juventus after the Serie A champions' long
pursuit for his services. Ferguson was fuming about the player's
conduct, saying: 'Paul Pogba signed for Juventus a long time ago as far
as we're aware. I don't think he showed us any respect at all.'"

This unproven 19 year old prick had the nerve to turn down ManU despite the fact that they clearly articulated to him that they wanted to make him a starter soon. The reason for his departure is mostly to do with wage demands which brings me to my point. WTF is it with these kids these days?  Has money become the only thing worth fighting for anymore in football?

1. PLAYERS:Look, I know it's important to look after finances but one can be happy with enough while maintaining a little dignity. If you asked players 20 years ago why they started playing football it was because they grew up watching their local club and it was their dream to one day have the honor of donning their colors and have the joy of hearing thousands cheer them on.  I think these thoughts are slowly slipping away from us as most players only use clubs as stepping stones to further their own careers. Nothing wrong with that but there comes a point where they just become mercenaries, traveling the globe for a chance at earning a little more without any real thought of the fans, or the football, or anything else really.

2. CLUBS: It's not just the players that are guilty. I've been quite outspoken about my views on how some clubs treat their legends (see DelPiero, Raul, et al). It's not just the dealings with the players but also with supporters. I think football clubs are more than a place to watch a bunch of guys kick a ball every weekend. They are often the center of a community, a historic landmark, the only place where total strangers can come together and feel like they've known each other their whole lives. Like the drug business, football is unique in that the owners know that whatever they do they can count on the continued revenue of fans because of their inability to stop supporting the club so dear to their hearts. As such owners and bordmembers have an ethical duty not to take advantage of this situation and yet, too often they do. Just look at how Newcastle owner Mike Ashley just decided one day to change the name of the historic St. james' Park to further advertise his own company. Other exmaples are the Rangers mismanagement and the Venkey's debacle over at Blackburn. There are countless others.

3.AUTHORITIES: How can we hope for respect and loyalty from our players and clubs when the very institutes that run our sport have been corrupted to the core? Do you think FIFA had the fans in mind when they decided to award the world cup to Qatar? Are Platini's ridiculous ideas to increase the number of participants or have the Euro held in multiple nations for the good of the fans? NO. None of it is. It's all about the money and it has been for some time.

I'm sorry for rambling but I really wish we could do something about these things... for example, force clubs to be owned and run by fans, have proper oversight in the decisions of the governing bodies, etc.
I invite you to share your thoughts on the changing values in our sport. It's quite cathartic believe me :)

Comments
quikzyyy 12 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

Bro, really nice topic and it's sad but still true. I believe I'm not the only one who can say now if he get a chance to play for his club which he love he will never leave.
example: If i got a chance to play at Arsenal, I would never leave the club. For me it doesn't matter if someone pay me 200k per week, or just 20k per week. Because U still playing for the club which u love! 

Nico10 12 years ago
Barcelona, Moldova 38 290

It still mean anything. You're right but look at Xavi he could go to Milan at 18 years because Guardiola was aready playing in his position and Milan was giving him a lot of money but he stayed and now is a Barça and Spanish legend.

If it could depend of money Messi would be in another team for sure and Iniesta too... Don't forget about RVP and Gareth Bale they also had a chance to change club but they're still playing for their clubs. Soldado has a lot of clubs who wanted to buy him but he renewed his contract with Valencia, etc.

Guardado and Lafita left their club only after helping them to go primera (la liga).

A legend doesn't need to change his club to be able to make history but I repeat, you're right, nowadays the players don't even think to  make history. They just want their money.

raimondo90 12 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

What corrupted the players is teams paying ridiculous wages.. Who needs 200k a week? I'd be happy making 30k a year if it meant playin for the team I really love. Leagues need to establish wage caps. 

JesperKyd 12 years ago
Arsenal, England 15 152

Money has corrupted our beautiful game it's ashame chelsea & man city have had to buy there way to success. there trophy's will be forever tainted with just money (1bil for ucl cup) where-as hardworking clubs such as man utd/barca/arsenal and such earn there titles the correct way.  

i'd be happy with £300 a week playing for arsenal and i can't wait to see the fair play rules drop them both in it. a wage cap would definitely be needed.

GunnerGo 12 years ago
Arsenal, Venezuela 13 345

Really nice thread mate, you are right in every single word you said. The money monster has corrupted football, it have been doing it for many years it's not a fresh new, but i still thinking that loyalty comes first so when i see a player like Soldado, like Wilshere, like Messi, and what the hell like Hart or Bale, they have loyalty for their clubs, they know how much it means for the fans, the players that thinks in the fans are the real footballers, the ones who plays for fun and enjoys every second in the pitch, the other ones in the other hand are the players that see football as a company, the ones who sees it as a job like any other job, they just want to earn more money and more and more, they are the players 2.0 and maybe there is nothing we can do about it, just hope that the real players keep coming and never desapear.

naman93 12 years ago
Real Madrid 82 859

@Footaholic : loved reading your post  !! This is the reason I always admire and respect the youth system and management of teams like Arsenal and Barcelona and to an extent Manchester United.

Clubs like Man City and Chelsea have erased the word " Loyalty " from their dictionary. Buying one or two star players to strengthen the squad is good but spending a billion to buy entire team is madness !!

The Galacticos era which started in 2000 till 2004 and again restarted in 2009 has dragged Real Madrid to a place where it has gained the tag of money club. A club with such a beautiful history is just now  witnessing the most horrifying period when it comes to managing the entire structure of the club.
The last recognised Youth Player in the squad is Iker Casillas and names like Jose Callejon, Arbeloa are just a small developments with none of them getting a regular place in neither Spain squad or Real Madrid squad. I hope things change and we see more Home Grown players in Madrid's squad.

raimondo90 12 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

@naman no disrespect to Madrid or fans of Madrid but with mou as ur coach I honesty can't see any youth making it to the squad. All they are concerned with is outdoing Barca. Barca this season gave room to Cuenca and Tello to feature. Madrid hardly let their reserves play so a unproven kid wouldn't make it even to substitutes. 

naman93 12 years ago
Real Madrid 82 859

what disrespect ?? its the truth !! Youth Development needs a complete rebuild - I agree !! 

DonAndres 12 years ago
Barcelona 62 1138

I Will never understand why one player For example who has an Offer From Arsenal(4 Million a year) and an offer from City(5.1 M for example) will choose City!
With 4 million you can't live and maintain your family?
I Think football players don't know how other people live..Other live in streets,other has no money and they try to persuade as that 4 Million are not enough?

ramaboy10 12 years ago
Mauritius 285 6463

people just want money these days

Keisuke 12 years ago
Chelsea, Japan 0 830

@ramaboy10 : First time you say something i agree

naman93 12 years ago
Real Madrid 82 859

they never had contract problemas :::

bambhose 12 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, Spain 0 124

gareth bale also naman93 :O

knibis 12 years ago
Valencia, Sweden 181 2500

Well loyalty doesnt mean anything to Jordi Alba, talking behind our presidents back, agreeing to the first low bid when other players who maybe love the club more would demand more money, He just wrote on twitter, finally home or something (Yeah i know he is from barca but he has spend many years in Valencia and we have gave him his first CL experince).. not a single thanks....

man_utd 12 years ago
Manchester United, South Korea 91 1444

ZANETTI

The_Iraqi_Maestro 12 years ago
Real Madrid, Iraq 9 192

@raimondo90 u forgot real madrid castella? they became champions in 2011-2012... our youth will be much better than most of the big clubs... dont go talk shit if u dont know nothing about real madrid and their history

naman93 12 years ago
Real Madrid 82 859

@iraqi : u r right but the problem is that we are not promoting our players from B Team in First team action and allowing them to develop .... instead we loan them to other club where they most probably sign a contract dpending on their clause with madrid ....... we need to get those lads from castella to play against legends like messi , iniesta , etc...... roatation policy can be done ...... playing one youth in a team of 10 first team players and later substituting him with another First team player ....

knibis 12 years ago
Valencia, Sweden 181 2500

all young madrid players who cant make it in the first team move to Getafe...