Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Do you think De Gea will actually leave Manchester United?
KhaledAzizJr 9 years ago
Manchester United, Italy 40 610

I feel as if he might not due to the fact that he used to play for Atletico, but you never know. What do you guys think?

Comments
TheGame 9 years ago
Manchester United 104 1380

@ashwin, yea mate it went through. Casilla's mom made a big deal about it today.

ashwin1729 9 years ago
Manchester United, England 10 704

@theGame: Haven't been following the news I guess. That's good news for us!

Dynastian98 9 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Well Ramos has been named the new captain of Madrid (as per usual, captaincy going to the most senior player), so that rules out him transferring to United. It's just up to Perez to lure De Gea now.

Joe_Manchester 9 years ago
Manchester United, Egypt 108 627

De Gea seems like he's staying 1 more year at Manchester, is it true?

Tuanis 9 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

It is a matter of when not if. He wants to leave, next season he can do it for free but I still think he is probably going to leave to Madrid this season. I like how United are not putting it easy for Madrid.

Dynastian98 9 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

I believe De Gea is most likely leaving this transfer window, but much later on. Sometime in August is what I expect.

tiki_taka 9 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

If Manchester sells DDG, Atleti told them that Oblak ( their first target ) would cost 45 Million, so in my opinion if Perez doesnt push the money United could be interested in keeping the player.

TheGame 9 years ago

Van Gaal effectively sacked Valdes today, stating that he doesn't follow his philosophy and, on several occasions, refused to play for the reserves last season. So, this is actually good news for us and gives United all the more reason to keep DDG, even if it is for another season. Sorry Madrid ;)

Dynastian98 9 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

LOL @ the fact that Valdes got sacked. Very funny. But playing for the reserves is a joke and an insult to a professional who has been established for many seasons. I would have also declined if Van Gaal offered me something like that and I had the career Valdes has had. Rumors are also spreading that Madrid are willing to put Navas as 1st choice and get De Gea for free next season. It seems unlikely because Perez isn't the patient type, and he doesn't go a single transfer window without purchasing a Galactico in one form or another.

Tuanis 9 years ago

How bad does Madrid rate Navas in order to be pushing so hard on another GK transfer?

Also, the lack of rumors regarding United's future GK makes me wonder if De Gea will actually leave this season...

tiki_taka 9 years ago Edited

He could have refused to fly with the team, thats a sign that he wont put pressure on Man United to find an agreement with Madrid. He can also be interested in respecting his contract and leave next year for free, that means that Madrid would give him a big signing bonus at 10 millions.

Valdes did the same, refused a contract extention and was going to sign for Monaco for free, they promised him a 10M bonus but he got injured and saw Monaco looking for another Gk.

De Gea could be interested if its his team's choice, and at the same time United cant sell him without securing a proper replacement. He may be interested in signing a pre-contract with Madrid for the next season and stay.
It was up to DDG but since he flied with the squad i think now its up to United to sell or to keep.

On the other hand, the pressure is incredible for Perez, as the name of DDG was present month ago in press, media and told by the club, and they already lost Casillas. If he doesnt sign DDG or a good keeper this summer he will be in troubles, i guess he will keep nogotiating to bring him this year...

Both teams sacked their back up Goal keepers, Some firece negotiations in the air.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

He could have refused to fly with the team, thats a sign that he wont put pressure on Man United to find an agreement with Madrid. He can also be interested in respecting his contract and leave next year for free, that means that Madrid would give him a big signing bonus at 10 millions.

Valdes did the same, refused a contract extention and was going to sign for Monaco for free, they promised him a 10M bonus but he got injured and saw Monaco looking for another Gk.

De Gea could be interested if its his team's choice, and at the same time United cant sell him without securing a proper replacement. It was up to DDG but since he flied with the squad i think its up to United now to sell or to keep.

DatGuy 9 years ago Edited
Manchester United, United States 4 20

Having watched this video, I see both sides. De Gea was massively overworked, which in some ways has added to his legendary status, but as an elite gk you don't want to be working as hard as he did time and time again. He looks up and sees McNair and Jones as his protectors. Ofcourse, he'll have a rethink as to the direction he wants his career to go. Van Gaal, on the other hand, in spite of his earlier skepticism is a fan and DDG and knows his team is secure with De Gea between the sticks. It makes sense to want to keep him even though his contract is expiring. I also illustrated earlier on why it makes sense for United to keep him and forsake a transfer fee. And with Valdez leaving, he definitely will not buy two goalkeepers.

I do feel that if United sign a quality CB, say Otamendi as has been linked, and we make a strong start in the Premier League and Champions League, he could be convinced to sign the contract on the table. I'm sure he has noted the Madrid politics with Ramos and Casillas, and anything can happen with Benitez as coach.

As Sir Alex once warned Wayne Rooney, "Sometimes you look in a field and you see a cow and you think it's a better cow than the one you've got in the field. It's a fact, right, and it never really works out that way."

i think he'll realize soon enough that his cow is better fed, better loved and better taken care of.

• History

Having watched this video, I see both sides. De Gea was massively overworked, which in some ways has added to his legendary status, but as an elite gk you don't want to be working as hard as he did time and time again. He looks up and sees McNair and Jones as his protectors. Ofcourse, he'll have a rethink as to the direction he wants his career to go. Van Gaal, on the other hand, in spite of his earlier skepticism is a fan and DDG and knows his team is secure with De Gea between the sticks. It makes sense to want to keep him even though his contract is expiring. I also illustrated earlier on why it makes sense for United to keep him and forsake a transfer fee.

I do feel that if United sign a quality CB, say Otamendi as has been linked, and we make a strong start in the Premier League and Champions League, he could be convinced to sign the contract on the table. I'm sure he has noted the Madrid politics with Ramos and Casillas, and anything can happen with Benitez as coach.

As Sir Alex once warned Wayne Rooney, "Sometimes you look in a field and you see a cow and you think it's a better cow than the one you've got in the field. It's a fact, right, and it never really works out that way."

i think he'll realize soon enough that his cow is better fed, better loved and better taken care of.

tiki_taka 9 years ago

He doesnt want to quit for sportive reasons, he was born at Madrid and probably has a Spanish wife and children, his family and friends are still at Madrid. The dream of a Football player born in Madrid is to join Real Madrid. I think he will join them even if United lifts the Champions League.

TheGame 9 years ago

@tiki_taka, but don't you think that going to Real Madrid would promote anger among the Atletico Madrid supporters whose team he used to play for? Not to mention that if he does make costly errors at R. Madrid, the fans will turn their back on him and abuse him as well.
@D, Idk. If LVG gave me a place to rehabilitate myself after a horrendous, possibly career-ending injury and took a risk on me when no one else would, I at least would listen and respect his decision. It is not like he would be in the reserve team indefinitely. RVP played for the reserves last year and it was a great way of getting fit and ready to participate in the 1st team.

TheGame 9 years ago

@Tuanis, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Navas as he is a world-class goalkeeper. However, let's not forget that this is R. Madrid, a team that is so entrenched in the culture of spectacle and big name superstars that if your not a well-known player to begin with or if they did not splash major cash on you, then you will always have a sense of inferiority before even kicking a ball at that club.

Tuanis 9 years ago

I wouldn't mind receiving Navas in the transfer, that would probably be the best deal, De Gea <--> Navas +20m and we wouldn't have to look for another keeper.

Romero is on a bunch of teams' latest rumors. Also wouldn't mind having him as the backup keeper but Valdes was way better.

Dynastian98 9 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@TheGame

No, the fans in the Bernabeu only whistle players who don't show any form of effort (Bale) or repeatedly make costly errors (Casillas). DDG won't be hated for costly errors on his first season. That will only happen if he does so two seasons or more in a row. Moreover, Atletico-Real rivalry wasn't big when DDG was with Los Colchoneres. Real had not lost to Atleti since the 1990's, and it was nothing like it is now with Simeone. He won't be hated that much by Atleti fans.

Dynastian98 9 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Watch Navas perform extremely well and get replaced next season by De Gea unfairly...

I think DDG staying at United and coming to Madrid for free and getting extra cash from Real is in the best interests of both David and United. He stays another season in Manchester and earns more money later on at the club he wants to go to.

TheGame 9 years ago Edited

@D, what about Ronaldo last season after he missed the penalty against Valencia? I've seen Benzema get booed as well. El Fenomeno Ronaldo and Zidane were also booed in the past. I would concede your point if it was consistent with what I've witnessed from R. Madrid supporters recently, but that hasn't been the case. Just imagine what the Bernabeu fans would've done to DDG if he would've went to R. Madrid instead of United and made similar goalkeeping errors early on in his career? We stuck with him and he blossomed into one of the world's best. I am not sure that would've happened at R. Madrid.

I don't want to make it seem like I am hating on R. Madrid, because they are one damn entertaining team to watch, but the level of pressure that comes with playing for that club is too much to bear, even for AMAZING players, since they are highly paid superstar (which is like 90% of the team). I am just saying that there needs to be a healthy balance.

• History

@D, what about Ronaldo last season after he missed the penalty against Valencia? I've seen Benzema get booed as well. El Fenomeno Ronaldo and Zidane were also booed in the past. I would concede your point if it was consistent with what I've witnessed from R. Madrid supporters recently, but that hasn't been the case. Just imagine what the Bernabeu fans would've done to DDG if he would've went to R. Madrid instead of United and made similar goalkeeping errors early on in his career? We stuck with him and he blossomed into one of the world's best. I am not sure that would've happened at R. Madrid. That amount of pressure is unhealthy.

@D, what about Ronaldo last season after he missed the penalty against Valencia? I've seen Benzema get booed as well. El Fenomeno Ronaldo and Zidane were also booed in the past. I would concede your point if it was consistent with what I've witnessed from R. Madrid supporters recently, but that hasn't been the case. Just imagine what the Bernabeu fans would've done to DDG if he would've went to R. Madrid instead of United and made similar goalkeeping errors early on in his career? We stuck with him and he blossomed into one of the world's best. I am not sure that would've happened at R. Madrid. That amount of pressure is unhealthy.

I don't want to make it seem like I am hating on R. Madrid, because they are one damn entertaining team to watch, but the level of pressure that comes with playing for that club is too much to bear, especially for AMAZING players since they are highly paid superstar (which is like 90% of the team). I am just saying that there needs to be a healthy balance.

I don't want to make it seem like I am hating on R. Madrid, because they are one damn entertaining team to watch, but the level of pressure that comes with playing for that club is too much to bear, even for AMAZING players, since they are highly paid superstar (which is like 90% of the team). I am just saying that there needs to be a healthy balance.

tiki_taka 9 years ago

Marca thinks De Gea will stay this season at United, he will get 5M euros net next year from Madrid joining them for free.