Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Discussion about encroachment rule
Emrecan_58 3 years ago Edited
Besiktas 149 3375

Hello everyone,

So I was watching the Europa League game between Frankfurt and Fenerbahçe. And in the last minutes this situation happened:

You can see that Pelkas first misses the penalty but it is then scored by an encroached player of Fenerbahçe (Berisha), WHILE there was also an encroachment by a Frankfurt player. The goal was canceled without a penalty retake. enter image description hereenter image description hereenter image description here

What do you think? I am a bit confused in this situation. Is it canceled because Berisha put himself in a more advantegous position? If another player of Fenerbahçe scored, it would've been just retaken I guess.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Hello everyone,

So I was watching the Europa League game between Frankfurt and Fenerbahçe. And in the last minutes this situation happened:

You can see that Pelkas first misses the penalty but it is then scored by an encroached player of Fenerbahçe, WHILE there was also an encroachment by a Frankfurt player. The goal was canceled without a penalty retake. enter image description hereenter image description hereenter image description here

What do you think? I am a bit confused in this situation.

Comments
Emobot7 3 years ago
538 11432

Hum, yeah, I don't get it either tbf, seem to me like it should have been retaken if he we go by those rule. Guess the only way to explain it is what you say about Berisha being in a much more advantageous position.

SunFlash 3 years ago
USA 19 3260

If I'm interpreting this properly, and I think I am, encroachment is not the same as offside. At the exact moment when the ball is kicked, the only player "technically" who has encroached is Berisha, because he is the only one in the box. Leaning into the box is done on every PK and is not called as encroachment, only when a player's feet are actually in the 18.

That means that the rule which was enforced was "Encroachment by the attacking player" which in the case of a missed PK, results in an indirect free kick for the defending side.

Emrecan_58 3 years ago Edited
Besiktas 149 3375

@SunFlash

Yeah at first I also thought it was the case but then realized that there is a Frankfurt player not inside the box, but inside the penalty arc which is also not allowed. I also think now if maybe the VAR refs also missed that while they were focused on inside the box only?

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

@SunFlash

Yeah at first I also thought it was the case but then realized that there are two Frankfurt players not inside the box, but inside the penalty arc which is not allowed. I also think now if maybe the VAR refs also missed that?

@SunFlash

Yeah at first I also thought it was the case but then realized that there are two Frankfurt players not inside the box, but inside the penalty arc which is also not allowed. I also think now if maybe the VAR refs also missed that?

@SunFlash

Yeah at first I also thought it was the case but then realized that there are two Frankfurt players not inside the box, but inside the penalty arc which is also not allowed. I also think now if maybe the VAR refs also missed that while they were focused on inside the box only?

quikzyyy 3 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

I think refs are simply absolutely incompetent since appointment of VAR, look at yesterday tackle on Daniel James, how is this not a penalty? How can referee miss this? How can VAR miss this? Referees have best job in the world, there are no consequences how badly their perform.

SunFlash 3 years ago
USA 19 3260

@Emre

Oooooof I didn't see that, you even circled it and everything, RIP me.

Yeah, you could be right.

DarthFooty 3 years ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1099

It's amazing that with VAR, this was missed. Clearly, not only did this have an offensive player encroach, a defensive one did as well. This should have been retaken.

Emobot7 3 years ago
538 11432

Seem to me like VAR is giving more information to the ref but render them worst than they used to be.