Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Del Bosque tells Cesc to Play "the Arsenal Way"
Footaholic 11 years ago
Arsenal, Egypt 178 2277

According to Sky Sports:

The Barcelona Midfielder was Spain's outstanding performer in their 2-1 victory over Uruguay.
The former Arsenal man was allowed a free role in the Spanish lineup due to the absence of the injured Xabi Alonso, and Fabregas relished the chance.

"The boss asked me to play freely," Fabregas told Sky Sports News.

"He knows that when I was at Arsenal that was the position I played in the best, and it worked very well today.

"We played very well, we were very strong in defence and in attack. We had a very good first half."

Personally, I thought he was Spain's best player in that match and I have to think that perhaps this tactical adjustment was why. What do you guys think? Should he be allowed to play like this for Spain in future and how would it work in Barcelona?

DISCLAIMER: I AM POSTING THIS PURELY TO DICSUSS THE PLAYER'S BEST TACTICAL POSITION. I AM IN NO WAY INSINUATING THAT THE ARSENAL IS SOMEHOW SUPERIOR TO ANY OTHER CLUB/TEAM AND I ESPECIALLY AM NOT SUGGESTING THAT THIS MEANS CESC WILL RETURN TO ARSENAL, OR INDEED EVEN WANTS TO (AS ANYONE WHO BELIEVES HE'S COMING BACK THIS YEAR IS, FRANKLY, DELUSIONAL).

Comments
Lodatz 11 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

If only Barcelona had Thierry Henry, too.

Oh, wait...

*ducks*

Seriously though, yeah, I think you're right.

quikzyyy 11 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

well, he was finally playing what he knows the best and which we saw him in Arsenal jersey. This is the place where he's best and most dangerous for opponent.

TheTruth 11 years ago
Barcelona, Argentina 5 246

I wonder what Arsenal would be like if they had Fabregas, RVP and Henry playing at the same time. ;)

Lodatz 11 years ago

You mean, like, 2003-2007?

Footaholic 11 years ago Edited
Arsenal, Egypt 178 2277

OK. So, to be more clear:
Do you think Barcelona should use Cesc as a roaming CAM behind Messi or do u think that is a bad idea? Also, do you think he Spain should keep him in this position (whether he starts or not) or should he revert to his previous role with the Spanish NT (fake CF/winger)?

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

OK. So, to be more clear:
Do you think Barcelona should use Cesc as a roaming CAM behind Messi or do u think that is a bad idea? Also, do you think he should start in this position (whether he starts or not) or should he revert to his previous role with the Spanish NT (fake CF/winger)

raimondo90 11 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

@Foot
In Barcelona it would be very difficult to fit it in. The classical 4-3-3 Barca use has very little room for a free roaming CAM. With Xavi-Iniesta-Busquets in the middle I can't see it being regularly used unless Xavi is out. Possible tweaks that could be implimented to get the most of Fabregas in Barcelona would be:
4-3-3
Neymar-Messi-Iniesta
Fabregas
Xavi-Busquets
Alba-Pique-Puyol(Mascherano)-Alvez
*Busquets being CDM and Xavi a plain CM

This would give the flair and skills of Iniesta at the wings while still linking up with Messi, Xavi and Fabs. Could be devastating to face a team like this, but it seems a little to top heavy (focused too heavily on attack).
Fabs getting more room to roam around playing as a CAM much like he did at Arsenal but this could take some of the room away from Messi.

Footaholic 11 years ago
Arsenal, Egypt 178 2277

thanks for your input @raimondo. I don\'t think Barcelona will change to a 4-2-3-1 to accommodate Fabregas. While Barcelona play a 4-3-3 on paper, they really play a 2-3-2-3 (with the FBs acting as Wingbacks) most of the time and transition to a 4-3-3 when pushed back (rarely). In the 2-3-2-3 Xavi and Iniesta occupy the central roles while Busquets sits slightly behind. In this scenario Cesc\'s only option is to play instead of Iniesta or Xavi in the center (that\'s why Iniesta or Cesc was often pushed out as LW). However, with the arrival of Neymar he won\'t be doing that and this will limit his opportunities further.
So, in Barcelona it\'d be difficult (as shown by the fact that he\'s often deployed as a winger)

In Spain, I think it\'d be more suitable as they are slightly more adaptable tactically. I think it\'d be ideal actually but he\'ll have competition from Mata for that CAM role. Cazorla & Silva are just slightly inferior to them in driving forward/scoring and are probably better than them on the wings.

Lodatz 11 years ago

I think Fabregas' biggest trouble is that Xavi is showing no signs of retirement yet. That's what Barca brought him home for.

Tuanis 11 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

Cesc just doesnt have a place in Barcelona. Just in very rare cases when xavi and busquets play in center midfield and fabregas can play as a CAM while Iniesta goes on the left wing... He should come to United :)

quikzyyy 11 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

he's not winger, winger really need pace which Fabregas just don't have. His place is in the middle, CAM is his place. He chosen Barca but I ask: Did he really though he will played instead of Xavi/Iniesta?. He's not striker too, he can play it but, that's not him. He was key in arsenal because of the spirit and the beautiful balls through, but in Barca he's outshined by these 2 midfielders.

tiki_taka 11 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Every match Messi didn't play, Fabregas scored at least one goal... When they both play, Pedro is the only one pressing the defence and the equilibrium is lost.
@quickzy i think the pb is not Xavi/iniesta Fab plays better as a false nine, the pb is to adapt to messi. Fab is a beast in Spanish team cause Messi is not in the team.

ramaboy10 11 years ago
Mauritius 285 6463

Agree with Rai

messi6511 11 years ago
Manchester United, Germany 50 575

Wow Foota, I never thought of it as a 2-3-2-3. Thanks!