Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

David De Gea?
Emobot7 5 years ago Edited
538 11426

Whats going on with him? Feel like he been in a suprisingly poor form recently (for his standard). Does anyone know if something happened to him? Or am I imagining thing? What are you guys thinking about his performance?

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Whats going on with him? Feel like he been in a suprisingly poor form recently. Does anyone know if something happened to him? Or am I imagining thing? What are you guys thinking about his performance?

Comments
SoccerBoss 5 years ago
Barcelona, Russia 34 804

Probably spending too much time at the bar drinking his sorrow away.

SunFlash 5 years ago
USA 19 3260

Goalkeepers, moreso than any other position, have it all in their head. He had trouble with Spain at the World Cup, and has been below standard ever since. He has had some really good games (Spurs) and some really bad ones. As a whole he has still been very good, but he's not the constant he's been the past few seasons.

I have no reason to believe he will not revert back to his previous form with a boost to his confidence, or an extended break, or both. He's been poor occasionally, but people focusing on him with respect to United's struggles is misplaced focus, imo.

Emobot7 5 years ago
538 11426

but people focusing on him with respect to United's struggles is misplaced focus, imo.

Fair enough a statement, it just I hadn't realized he had become more inconsistant since the World Cup. Most United game I saw of him this season seemed pretty decent and I hadn't any reason to make him any reproach but it hasn't been the same in the last 3 games. However, I still think he is a very solid keeper and way better than Kepa and Leno. Also, I agree with you, no reason why he couldn't revert back to his previous form.

iHEARTfootball 5 years ago
Manchester United 38 1000

To be fair, the standard he's set for himself is amazingly high, especially based off of his performance from last season. I read some stat, somewhere, that presented his 'xG prevented' score: Last season was around 13.5, while this season (currently) is 0.9.

0.9 is still fairly impressive, since a bad season would constitute to a negative digit. However, I've been calling him out to be benched ever since the Watford game because he's definitely not been himself this season. A friendly reminder, that De Gea's not the only quality keeper, is needed by playing Romero. I think Romero's been fantastic against Wolves (FA cup) and I was surprised when he wasn't picked again to face them (league game). Now we're paying the price.

I wouldn't be too awfully surprised if he decides to leave this summer. He's been doing a lot of dirty work that our back-line should've been covering, so it's understandable. Still can't believe we gave Jones a contract extension, since he's a bollocks of a defender, as is Smalling, Lukock, Lingard, etc. We need a complete overhaul of this squad, and something tells me that this upcoming summer won't be enough.

Marcus2011 5 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

De Gea wants to new contract and get paid well.

the_bald_genius 5 years ago
10 1583

can't blame him for being the battering ram. man has been saving too many word docs to count. he is entitled to have down times when you look at the others in man utd squad.

srk_rox 5 years ago
Liverpool 5 542

Time for Romero to get some games.
Personally, I have observed these situations with goalkeepers. If they start making mistakes, it means they are starting to show signs of bad form.
They will make Howler if you continue to play them.
Just give them an off

Emobot7 5 years ago
538 11426

@Marcus2011 Are you implying he isn't playing at his best to pressure the United team into giving him a better contract? Seem unlikely to me.

@baldgenius Fair enough.

@srkrox @iHEARTfootball Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing Romero been given more time. At the very least, this would permit De Gea to rest himself a bit and maybe help himself sort whatever cause him trouble on the pitch. As for Romero, he certainly deserve a bit more playtime.

JozeV2 5 years ago
Chelsea, Greece 6 214

@Emobot7

You would be surprised how much a good contract affects an athlete, I remember hitting 18 years old and my team trying to keep me in the city by offering 150 euros the month and to help with my army obligations by promising to transfer me after the 1st month near my city. All those made me stay without even thinking about it. Can't imagine getting a huge raise like footballers are getting paid nowadays.

Marcus2011 5 years ago

Yea. I think money plays the role in footballers motivation and moral. Their careers are short and making money quickly is their prime priority just as much as leaving legacy behind. There is a reason why many professionals go broke after they retire. Money is never enough :))

Emobot7 5 years ago
538 11426

@Marcus Well, I wouldn't haven't taken De Gea to be this kind of player but he might be taking the training less seriously because of it... You do make a good point when you explain it like that though.

@Joze Its not really a question of keeping a player in this case though but keeping him playing at a high level. Still, I guess I understand what you mean.

Emrecan_58 5 years ago
Besiktas 149 3375

Karius II

tiki_taka 5 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

GK position form is unpredictable, inexplicable. Depends on instincts and reflexes...

Amator ones drop form from lack of training, professional from drop of confidence. He got coaches that train him everyday. He cannot loose speed. But if something in his life isn’t going right direction, if he can’t trust his defense. It can have an impact.

The Claudio Bravo example or Courtois is a good example of changing habits and impact.

At the end we will never know lol

Emobot7 5 years ago
538 11426
Marcus2011 5 years ago

Dropping De Gea onto bench will be wrong solution. His record is amazing and he has saved United many times when entire team should have been benched.

Benching goalkeeper at times can work but Romero isn't any better than De Gea and this is just temporary form problems. I think mostly lack of concentration ( something is bothering him so maybe offer him improved contract otherwise he is thinking about different club for sure ) and end of the season for United not looking good as well so lost motivation can be a factor too.

@tiki

Courtois is just a big rat that doesn't know how to stop balls going between his legs! That is all.

expertfootball11 5 years ago
Real Madrid, France 64 2837

De Gea outclasses Courtois any day. He just needs the season to end, as everyone else in United.

quikzyyy 5 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

De Gea outclasses Courtois any day.

he wouldn't even outclass Karius with the performances from past month. Blunders against Everton, Barcelona, Man. City and now Chelsea. Since the World Cup last year, his performances went down rapidly.

I still rate him very highly, but wouldn't be surprised if he was seeking for a new challenge...

tuan_jinn 5 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

Yeah in the last 10 games or so, he seems distracted, went far below his standard.

De Gea has been our legend, have helped the club to the sh!ftiest time for several years. He earns the right be be respected despite a few mistakes.

I do think the club and himself need to sort out this transfer distraction and dilemma. A few benched games might help him realize something.

Especially himself. If the problem comes from motivation, or be at the same club, or wanting to go back to Spain... there isn't much we can do about it :(. If this was the actual case, benching would make it worse... Then sorting things out off the field would be the only solution

Emobot7 5 years ago
538 11426

but Romero isn't any better than De Gea

Thats true... :(

Emobot7 5 years ago
538 11426

he wouldn't even outclass Karius with the performances from past month. Blunders against Everton, Barcelona, Man. City and now Chelsea.

Karius? The guys who literaly assisted Benzema in the world cup final?