Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Culture Shock: Hero or great people from you country
Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

So, in this thread, I propose we share a bit about great people who have made great thing in our country are well known in the country but pherhap not as much in other part of the world.

So let me start with some great people from Quebec:
René Lévesque, politician, creator of the Parti Québécois and one of those who wanted Quebec to pursue a path toward sovereignty.

Samuel de Champlain, also known as the father of New France, is responsible for maping the coast of Quebec (New France at the time) and most of all for the creation of the first settlement, Quebec city.

Jean Talon, the man who made us Quebecers have lots of babies... sound stupid but trust me, its important.

Share some of your country now if you want to. :D

Comments
liomessi10 7 years ago
Barcelona, Argentina 222 3053

@dynastian wow snap!

Emrecan_58 7 years ago Edited
Besiktas 149 3375

Turkey had many heros or great people that I can't count since it was founded in 1923.
Atatürk as a hero that I should mention at first,
than people like

Deniz Gezmiş and his friends

Aziz Nesin

Aşık Veysel

Aşık Mahzuni Şerif

Nazım Hikmet Ran

Turan Dursun

Orhan Pamuk

I don't know much about Mehmet Öz but he is one of them that I should mention.

Special mention to the people died in Sivas. All heros in my heart.

Most of these people I mentioned are from my culture. Not every Turkish people love them. But they lived(live) for people's rights. And some of them died fighting for that.

Aziz Nesin was also in Sivas whilst that massacre. He survived.

Before that, going back like 1300 years, There were Hans or Khagans whome I see as great peoples.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkic_Khaganate

EDIT-Forgot to mention Kemal Sunal

@rayrex7 I've been following the war crimes of the mentioned countries in Yemen. Yemeni people are one of my favourite people around the Arab World. The denominational differences are the main reason why these happen in my opinion. There were times that I cried after I saw some photos and videos about the genocidal attack there. I am ashamed to live in a country that supports these actions.

All my respect to you, your people and your culture man.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Turkey had many heros or great people that I can't count since it was founded in 1923.
Atatürk as a hero that I should mention at first,
than people like

Deniz Gezmiş and his friends

Aziz Nesin

Aşık Veysel

Aşık Mahzuni Şerif

Nazım Hikmet Ran

Turan Dursun

Orhan Pamuk

I don't know much about Mehmet Öz but he is one of them that I should mention.

Special mention to the people died in Sivas. All heros in my heart.

Most of these people I mentioned are from my culture. Not every Turkish people love them. But they lived(live) for people's rights. And some of them died fighting for that.

Aziz Nesin was also in Sivas whilst that massacre. He survived.

Before that, going back like 1300 years, There were Hans or Khagans whome I see as great peoples.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkic_Khaganate

@rayrex7 I've been following the war crimes of the mentioned countries in Yemen. Yemeni people are one of my favourite people around the Arab World. The denominational differences are the main reason why these happen in my opinion. There were times that I cried after I saw some photos and videos about the genocidal attack there. I am ashamed to live in a country that supports these actions.

All my respect to you, your people and your culture man.

Emrecan_58 7 years ago
Besiktas 149 3375

Hey guys. I realized I've only shared one side of mine. I am also half Kurdish as a few of you know. I was listening some folk music of my Qoçgiri origins.

Goes back in Anatolia- Upper Mesopotamia maybe almost for 9000 years, way before Turks arrived.

Our people have suffered a lot through history and still suffering. We are known with our women's laments for the dead.
Like after Alişan Beg had been killed during the Qoçgiri Rebellion, this lament was said by his sister, who fought with his brother.↓

This one, after the 1939 eartquake hit the east of Turkey, was said by the Qoçgiri people in the Arıx region. Because they could not bury their dead because of the horrible weather conditions. ↓

In case of you wondering how these laments are said, here are two of them. My grandmother and aunts also with them. These words come out at the time they are saying, not before.

And some tunes in this music goes back in time like 5000 years ↓

About the heros, as many of you know the Kurdish women heros are fighting against ISIS at the moment.
%50-55 of the Kurdish forces are women by the way.

Sorry for depressing you with these. I just wanted to share.

JuanMata10 7 years ago
Chelsea, Austria 17 1696

@Emo @tuan: Sorry guys, apparently forgot to answer you.
The only headlines Austria usually makes (nowadays) are about Na.zis/Hit.ler or cases of incest (Wolfgang Priklopil and Josef Fritzl).

Golazo111 7 years ago Edited
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

@ Marcos I liked your post, really great people Saramago and Pessoa ( my girlfriend's favorite poem that I also liked very much is The Tobacco Shop ), cheers.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

@Marcos I liked your post, really great people Saramago and Pessoa ( my girlfriend's favorite poem that I also liked very much is The Tobacco Shop ), cheers.

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

@juan

Not to mention Freud...

Seriously though, Hapsburg Austria was the culture powerhouse of Europe for a few centuries. You guys have a lot going for you.