Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Cristiano on Messi: "I have never seen such a rivalry..."
Dynastian98 5 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

"He is also an excellent player and will be remembered in history not only for the Ballon d'Ors he has won but because he has always been at the peak year after year, like me.

Obviously I have never seen such a 'rivalry', and two players who have been on the mountaintop for so many years. With all due respect, there are great players who have been at their peak for 3, 4, or 5 years.

I've never seen 10 years ever - as they say in Portuguese - of breaking stone every year, scoring 40 or 50 goals, winning titles, always being there [for you team]... it costs a lot. It's the hardest thing in football."

https://blogvisaodemercado.pt/2019/08/ronaldo-destaca-diferenca-em-relacao-a-messi-eu-ganhei-a-champions-por-clubes-diferentes/

I used Google Translate for this as I don't speak Portuguese, so here's the result.

Comments
Emobot7 5 years ago
538 11432

Cristiano said he never seen such a rivalry for the simple reason that there has never been. Sure, they were player dominating before Messi and Ronaldo but never in the fashion they did in the last ten year and never two at the same time. I just hope this domination won't be ending soon. Anyway, I can say I'm very glad to have gotten into football while those two legend were still active and banging the goal, they are a joy to watch week in and week out. :D

Nice share as usual Dynast. :D

Marcus2011 5 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

Number of factors need to be taken into account aside form talent and personal power of will to be best, of why rivalry still lasting so long, I can list few off top of my head:

• now days players are surrounded by team of people who check on their fitness, diet, health, and etc .
  • football has changed to less “rugby” like game to where players are protected more by referees especially start players.
  • both players should also thank that they have played for big clubs with big players who have also contributed to their growth and development, and goal tallies. It is a team sport after all.
  • great managers have managed each player and that also plays a big role. They both were lucky to be always managed under top managers in crucial times of their development which set the tone for rest of their career.

Anyways , just few of top of my head.

Ledley 5 years ago
Celtic, Australia 46 1310

One pushes the other, which is great for the rest of us. Even if they don't say they are rivals or not.

Algerino 5 years ago
Napoli, Algeria 6 845

People always talk about cristianos and messi strenghts. Dribble pace shooting passing and so on. But people always forget their main strength which is consistency. They have never had a poor season.

Emobot7 5 years ago
538 11432

@Marcus2011 Very good analysis mate. +1

@Algerino You are completely right, more than other of their quality, its their consistency which has been most impressive.

DarthFooty 5 years ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1099

Todays game has changed, better or worse, but almost every sport can say that. The fact that these two have been able to stay at such an elite level for so long is insane.

You can always have the "back in my day" chats, but the evolution of the sport, the players, and the technology have propelled us into what we see today. Simply amazing to see TWO best in world players at the same time, for as long as they have been going at it.

Tuanis 5 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

I truly believe neither of them would have been so consistent or kept themselves on top form for so long if it was not for the other. Competition made them monstrous players.

Didn't Cristiano also mention the difference between him and Messi being that he managed to win the CL with different teams?
I don't understand how that argument is still used these days tbh..

tuan_jinn 5 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

@tuanis: agree on the last part...