Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Copa America Final : Chile - Argentina.
tiki_taka 9 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

The real question is who is the final favourite ? For me its an even game i' ll tell you why...

Despite Argentina being Favourite on paper, Chile plays more like a team and have the home advantage wich is Huge in a South American game, the ref could be another variable of the game who would never have a bad call in favor of Chilean rivals, ref wont risk his life so when he doubts the call will be for the home team favour ( I may be wrong, some ref have enough caracter and fairness to do the job correctly ).

The presence of Messi wont let Chile develop their attacking Football as they used to do, we will see in the first 15 minutes who would dominate the midlefield battle and from that we will see teams adapting their tactics...

Argentina last Copa America win was in 1993, Chile has never won it and the staff, players and coach all look motivated and determined to win.

Argentina and Messi wants badly a national trophy, a Copa isnt a World cup, but its a real consolation no matter what people say, waiting for more. Maradona for example never won Copa America and the style of play of South American Football, the motivation and work rate make every team dangerous...

So Copa isnt easier to win, nor more complicated but you should adapt to the weather, the atmosphere, the refs, the pressure, the end of the season form, the small time for nations to prepare...

I dont think its an Alexis/Messi duel, because its disrespecting Isla-Vidal-Valdivia-Bravo and Mascerano-Pastore-Romero-Aguero who were incredible in most of the game, we can also mention some part time achievers like Vargas or Di Maria.

The battle of coaches will be key, both are good and both cant lose this game.

The game is on Saturday and could be Historical for many reasons so to all Football lovers, dont miss that game, quality Football in the air, big expectation, Hungry teams for national victory.

I wont hide the fact that i want Argentina to win it for Messi, for all what this player has accomplished in Europe, he deserves to enter his country hall of fame from the big doors despite already having the love and the respect of his nation, a major trophy would make things clear.

I also have a little sympathy for Chile, Jara and Vidal gates aside, for me they played the best Football of the tournment and i like Bravo-Alexis for obvious reasons...

I predict a close game ( a surprise like Germany-Brazil is always welcome :p ) :

2 - 2 : Argentina on penalties.

Your favourites ? Predictions ? Informations on the game ? Feel free to talk about the topic or South American Football in general.

Comments
tiki_taka 9 years ago

@quickzy, If you notice the run of Higuain during the action, a true 9 should be on the limit of the offside on the same line of the defender, Higuian was not runing he could offer two choices, drop back to the penalty spot or run as hell to be sure to take the ball in a good timing, he did nothing from both.
in an action just before, Messi gave a through ball and it was Higuain Lavezzi, Higuain wasnt offside, Lavezzi was and he took the ball and scored while Higuain as a true nine should have taken it, Aguero would have without a problem.

Lavezzi flopped as much as Higuain, first half Pastore gave him a big chance, he shoot right on the keeper, then he took the ball while he was offside and at least for me he was in a good shooting situation, the pass to Higuain was the worst choice, because Higuain wast offering an angle, because Messi gave him the ball and was doing the run to take it back, he completely ignored it and because he could have shot the ball and finish himself.

Put Neymar instead of Lavezzi, the ball is curved into the net, you put Alba instead he will assist Messi knowing he is doing the run.

rayrex7 9 years ago
Real Madrid, Croatia 26 797

Messi's stats vs Chile:

Dribbles: 7
Tackles: 3
Possesion: 5.5

I cant believe you guys are actually blaming Messi, his performance wasnt good, nor bad. If he was any other player I wont be surprised if he was man of the match. People are having high expectations from Messi and Ronaldo on international level. Ronaldo unreal goal-scoring day and day out, and Messi's unreal solo rus day and day out has made everyone literally think they can do anything. They cant do everything alone. Did you literally see how messi has been shoved and push by the Chileans players?! I feel sorry for Messi, he did the best he could and made it this close.

I actually forgot that players like Aguero and pastore are actually playing, these players are world class when it comes to club level but are below par in international, just explains that the winning international trophies is way harder no matter what your squad consists, This is why I consider Ronaldo fenomeno and Zidane the 2 best players ever, they make teams win from nothing, but yet again, in their era thier teammates didnt rely on them, but supported them. Something that Messi and Ronaldo's teammates dont do.

I for one feel Messi is the second or third best player for argentina after Otamendi and equal with mascherano.

I agree with tiki when comparing Maradonna and Messi, since they both played in different generations with different teammates and mentality.

Messi will be considered one of the greats no matter what. ronaldo is alongside him :P

But honestly I am really disappointing with Higuain, Pastore, Lavezzi and Agueros performance

JuanMata10 9 years ago
Chelsea, Austria 17 1696

@tiki: Of course Messi isn't the only one responsible for Argentina's loss, there are many factors that contributed to it like Di Maria's injury, Martino's tactics etc. My reaction was a bit exagerrated, true, and maybe I'm spoiled because of his unreal performances week in, week out at Barcelona, but since his name is Messi, I would've expected him to give his very best in that final, which he didn't do in my opinion. Just look at 4:18 in the video that you posted in response to my comment, Pastore was running like 5 seconds towards him in that scene (the vid doesn't show the moment when Pastore received the ball, but he started from a half-left position) and Messi didn't even move, while he had enough space and time to make a run on the right-hand side.

Perhaps I came across like a Messi hater to you, but I'm really not, I admire him and I don't doubt that he is the best player of the world, that's why I reacted so harshly. You mentioned Costa, Hazard and others who didn't live up to the expectations at the last world cup, sure, true, but they are not even close to being on Messi's level. I also don't agree with your statement that Messi is tired as he made like 5 assists 3 or 4 days ago in the semifinal, surely he couldn't be that tired if he put in a perfomance like that and I really doubt that Argentinas coaching staff scheduled some super-exhausting training activities in preperation to the final.

Truth is, I don't know why he seemed to put in a half-hearted perfomance like that, but I'm really disappointed, given his interviews about how much it would mean to him. For me, he is not a captain. Just because you're the best player, it doesn't automatically qualify you to be a captain and lead a whole team (same in Brazil, Neymar = not a captain). You need someone who rolls up his sleeves and shows guts if you play bad, someone who shouts at you and motivates you in these times. Kahn, Terry, Puyol.. those were fantastic captains, Messi's not. The only one in Argentina's team, who's worthy of being the captain is Mascherano, other than that I don't think anyone is capable of doing that.

tiki_taka 9 years ago

Yeah I agree, comparing to WC final or Bayern Munich game, he defended rarely in this game, sometimes chilean players get past him without he even move, for me that a proof that physically he wasnt fit.

And yes Messi is not a leader, I wanted to see him motivating his teammates or giving advices to players to play better, but he didnt. Messi doesnt act like a leader and thats really surprising because he is legitimate to speak in Argentina, everyone would listen to him.

You doesnt sound like a hater to me, you have your point, i may sound like a Messi fanatic defending him no matter what, i dont i just state that he didnt flopped completely and pointed the compliocated circumstances he faced.

For Messi walking in the pitch and not taking part of the defensive duties, some may be surprised but as a Barça fan, im used to it considering Messi full speed accelerations demand a lot of energy and he is not 19 yo, Messi used to cover his wing as a winger.

Now, he is one of the best playing time manager in the world, he has played all games of the season, 0 injury and in all competitions, his energy management by not helping in defensive duties has its reasons, and i understand people founding it odd or diva atitude...

tiki_taka 9 years ago