Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Consequences of the CL Outcome
Footaholic 12 years ago
Arsenal, Egypt 178 2277

I'd like to start with Spurs since they're obviously the ones most affected by Chelsea's victory. I have a suspicion, as I'm sure many Spurs fans do, that Tottenham will have a really hard time keeping their bigname players after another season without CL. Moreover, it will make it slightly more difficult, but not impossible, to attract good players.  Also, I think Levy was banking on the extra income from the CL to help him invest in the transfer market. Without those extra funds he might find it more difficult. Overall, bad news for Spurs... but I'm not complaining, karma can be a real bitch when you prematurely mock others.

Chelsea Manager: Let's be frank... RDM has been nothing short of a real-life miracle worker and IMO deserves a real shot as full-time manager. The problem is, he's (understandably) accomplished his feats with very defense-minded tactics but we all know that Roman wants pretty football (after all, that's one of the reasons he got rid of Mourinho). So does this make RA wary of hiring him full-time or does he understand that RDM only worked with what he had and is actually a more attack-minded manager? Does he give him a chance to try to establish a more attractive squad next year or does he callously overlook him for another star manager?

RA: Is he going to continue investing in Chelsea and push to make them even better or will he slowly begin losing interest now that he's achieved what he wanted with his toy?

EPL: Everyone keeps saying that all premier league fans (other than Tottenham) should be happy Chelsea won because it represents the quality of the Prem.  However, there are a few things that I take issue with here. First of all, CL is a club competition and is not reflective of a nations talent. Clubs are made of players of multiple nationalities and therefore the CL should not tug on any patriotic heartstrings. As for demonstrting the quality of the EPL, I agree... to an extent.  Chelsea showed their strength, heart, and determination. They showed some of the best displays of defensive apptitidue I have ever seen. However, they didn't exactly paint the portrait of beautiful or highly technically football. So in a way, they are either inspiring or disgraceful representatives depending on how you look at it. Lastly, supporters of other clubs spend most of their time hating on each other so why are we all of a sudden, expected to cheer for them? I for one dislike Chelsea greatly b/c to me they were the original Man City and I find it upsetting that they pipped us to the CL trophy. I'm not telling you all this to troll but rather, to demonstrate how disingenuous it would be for me to say that I hope that they do well and "win it for the EPL".

Comments
Footaholic 12 years ago
Arsenal, Egypt 178 2277

Please share your own thoughts and views on my these issues...

raimondo90 12 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

Spurs: I agree. Huge blow to them after working so hard. Many players will leave and make it harder to attract world class talent. 

RDM: I've said this before he only worked with what AVB left him. No one knows how smart he is with transfers or if he will continue sticking with older players. He was a tough task and if he accepts I can't see him staying more than one season since in fact AVB had Chelsea at a higher place in league than RDM. 

RA: I'm not sure about what he will do. He could want to dominate and pour millions of funds to build on this little success he had. 

EPL: I can't stand fans that join in on the bandwagon. U support Manu or which ever team other than Chelsea should mean u hate your rivals. Not that u will suddenly start supporting them cux they knocked out Barca something many teams will never do. And I agree with ur point about it being a club cup not a international one. It seemed it was England vs Germany more than Chelsea vs Bayern Munich. 

Footaholic 12 years ago
Arsenal, Egypt 178 2277

@raimondo: interesting point on RDM. Is it fair to assume that your not entirely convinced he would actually create a good team instead of inspiring one?

raimondo90 12 years ago

Yes very much so. If u watched the games Chelsea played they weren't world class or number one in the world. He changed to defend more (opposite of AVB) and play counters. He reunited the team. He turned them to a big hearted team and they had great belief. But we will see how it unfolds. I don't think RA was convinced 100%. 

Economist 12 years ago
Paris Saint-Germain, France 1 79

Sorry I disagree with you this time. So many people keep talking about "the beautiful football" but who on earth can judge it? I bet you like some technical and attacking football with bunch of passes and you call it beautiful football, but that's just an opinion of yours and a small number of people's. Others including Chelsea fans would like their physical and defensive football and they can say it's "beautiful." It just depends. You can't say "they didn't exactly paint the portrait of beautiful or highly technically football" or something. If all European clubs have the same style (passing game) and use typical tactics every time, it may be so horrible to watch.

In the league games I don't like Chelsea. I especially hate Manchester City and I disrespect them whenever my team faces them. Yet, if they beat giants of other leagues and earn UEFA points in the CL, I'm ready to support them because it's actually advantageous to Arsenal. EPL teams like Manchester United, Liverpool, and Chelsea win the Big Ear with UEFA points and it brings more opportunities for EPL clubs to qualify the CL; we can say they fight for England.

Economist 12 years ago
Paris Saint-Germain, France 1 79

@raimondo90 I watched the game and it was totally exciting. Chelsea's counterattack was so effective and threatening, and their defence was quite solid. You said Chelsea wasn't world class and you're Valencia fan. Are you jealous?

raimondo90 12 years ago

@Economist I really don't see how me being a Valencia fan has anything to do in this discussion. It's the same as me saying your an arsenal fan or sayig you support Canada. Yes their strategy did work but it's not exactly what you would expect from a champion team. Everybody picks Barca and Madrid as favorites because of their menacing attack. Not their ability to defend 80% of the time and strike one counter attack. As for the game it only got exciting when Muller scored.

quikzyyy 12 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

for me Tottenham deserved to play the champions league in the next season.

Footaholic 12 years ago
Arsenal, Egypt 178 2277

@quikzyy: I agree. All our friendly teasing aside, Spurs played some excellent football at times this season and I think they would be more entertaining to watch.
@Economist: just FYI, UEFA only assigns league points up until the qualification to the final. Actually winning the final has no impact on the point system.