{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Club Profile: Bayer 04 Leverkusen
knibis 11 years ago
Valencia, Sweden 181 2500

Earlier logos:

BAYER 04 LEVERKUSEN - The Eternal number 2 

You probably know something about a fairly big Bundesliga club from Köln in south-west Germany, its a club that has very well lived up to its name as the eternal number 2. Bayer Leverkusen also has a close relation with the multi-billion dollar medical company Bayer AG. Thus the word Bayer in the teams name. If we look back in history it was actually the workers from Bayer AG that started the club on their free-time.

Besides from having a good economy like most German teams The club is not always a top team, throughout the 2000`s Leverkusen has traveled between beeing a middle team one year and being a top team the next. never winning ofcourse. And like the top positions, Leverkusen play in Europe about each other year..

To show off Bayers good economy take a look at Bayer AGs results from 2011:

Biggest accomplishments

Uefa cup winners:  1988 (won on Penalties against Espanyol)

Champions League runners up: 2001-2002

Bundesliga runners-up: 96-97, 98-99, 99-00, 01-02 and 2010-2011

DFB-Pokal winner: 1992-1993

DFB-Pokal runners-up: 2001-2002 and 2008-2009

...do I have to mention that they won a tripple in 2002. a triple of second places that is...

that Bayer Leverkusen lost the Bundesliga title to FC Bayern in the last seconds of the last matchday 2002... hard stuff..

In the Champions League season of 2001-2002 Leverkusen beat teams such as Barcelona, Arsenal, Manchester United and Liverpool before losing the final against Real Madrid (2-1). You might remember that 2-1 goal from Zidane.

Quick Facts

All time top scorer: Ulf Kirsten (182 goals)

Current Manager: Sami Hyypiä (yes, the former Liverpool player)

President: Wolfgang Holzhäuser

Stadium: BayArena (30.210)

Founded: 1904

Economy: Good

Biggest Rivals: FC Köln

Position last year in the Bundesliga: 5th 

Current position in the league: 2nd

Fans

Despite being a "family-friendly, all peoples club" unlike the other "working class clubs" like Shalke and Dortmund for example, Leverkusen still got some very passionate fans/ultras:

and here is a picture of BayArena: 

Players

Bayer 04 Leverkusen released this list in 2004. its their first 11 of the century. None of the players are playing 
for Leverkusen right now:

Current Squad : 

^ Here we can find Bundesligas top scorer so far this season: Stefan Kießling (12 goals)

I we look at transfers Leverkusen is not so big in that aspect. Its more of a club that build players from ground up. here bellow we find the top 5 signings:

Other stuff worth mentioning

UEFA allows Bayer Leverkusen, in contrast to Red Bull Salzburg, to use the brand name of Bayer in European club competitions. Thats Because Leverkusen (as stated in the intro) was founded by workers form from the company Bayer AG.

7-1 vs Barcelona away last season is their biggest defeat in CL so far..

Michael Ballack has played for Leverkusen 2 times in his career before retireing from professional football last year.

If you wanna follow Leverkusen on further Europa adventure, this season they are through to the 2nd round in Europa League where they play Benfica.

Comments
knibis 11 years ago
Valencia, Sweden 181 2500

sorry about the late post about my PC broke down... for 3 hours..

raimondo90 11 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

Great stuff looks neat and I like you added pictures. Wow they rarely won a cup, I didn't know that. 

Dynastian98 11 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Good job knibis, but you could've added more info on their history and "eras" as Footaholic put it.

CasperYoGhost 11 years ago
FC Basel, Switzerland 1 3

Just a lill' question, why would a medicine firm create a football club?

johnnyface 11 years ago
Hartlepool, England 1 26

Good work knibis. Respect that you haven't just copy and paste from wikipedia, unlike Footaholic's attempt. 

johnnyface 11 years ago
Hartlepool, England 1 26

or should i say mladens'

Heisinburg 11 years ago
Manchester United 67 1516

This one's by far the best out of what's been posted so far.

Heisinburg 11 years ago
Manchester United 67 1516

I agree with Dynastian - I don't see much information on History and "eras" as Footaholic suggested. But the reason why I think this one's the best so far is that you've put in images and a video, which makes it easier for us to learn more about the club. Thanks for that.

Lodatz 11 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

Looks fantastic -- a little light on history, as others have said. Great job, though.