Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Career Lookback: Paul Pogba
Emobot7 5 months ago Edited
538 11432

Been a long time since I did one of those, feel like considering what been happening, this one deserved a mention even if its a bit late.

Paul Pogba, former Le Havre young player and Manchester United wonderkid who exploded in Italy, playing a key role for the serial winner Juventus (at that time). He was so good he even won the Golden Boy in 2013 and was named in the UEFA Team of the Year in 2015 after helping his team reach the UEFA CL final that same year.

His performance lead to him being targeted by many a great clubs and he ended up 'coming back home' to Manchester United for £89.3 million which was a record fee for an English club (at the time). 'Pogback' as they used to say back then.

Though the pressure and expectation were high considering the fee of his transfer, I'd argue Pogba early time at United went relatively well, his performance were sometime inconsistent and he wasn't alway fit but he was a key part of the team that won the League Cup and the Europa League in his first season back at the club.

However, things never were as good at United compared to Juventus and Pogba was very often the victim of critisism regarding his mistake on defensive duty and lack of concentration at time. There also many who thought he didn't acted mature enough considering his importance in the team. There were even continued tensions between him and head coach Jose Mourinho later in his time at United which lead to Pogba getting benched at time.

It was only when Mourinho got sacked that Pogba saw a bit of a revival under new manager Ole Gunnar Solskjær. His performance in that same season was enough to net him a place in the PFA team of the year for the 2018–19 season.

After that, Pogba would slowly start playing less and less (mainly because of fitness reason) for United despite forming a good duo with new United player Bruno Fernandes. In the end, on 1 June 2022, United announced that Pogba contract would not be renewed.

Worth noting that at an international level, Pogba was a key actor for the French national team in their Euro 2016 campaign where they reached the final and the victory at the 2018 world cup.

After leaving United, he ended up re-joining Juventus on a free. Pogback again. Sadly, injury kept him from being able to play much football for the Turin based club and now, you propably heard of it but Pogba was involved in failed drugs test scandal and he risk a lenghty suspension that could mean he might not be able to play football for the next 2 to 4 years.

So, is Pogba career at the top level truly over and done with? Thought on his career as a whole? Was he a massive flop or just a good player that peoples expected too much of?

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Been a long time since I did one of those, feel like considering what been happening, this one deserved a mention even if its a bit late.

Paul Pogba, former Le Havre young player and Manchester United wonderkid who exploded in Italy, playing a key role for the serial winner Juventus (at that time). He was so good he even won the Golden Boy in 2013 and was named in the UEFA Team of the Year in 2015 after helping his team reach the UEFA CL final that same year.

His performance lead to him being targeted by many a great clubs and he ended up 'coming back home' to Manchester United for £89.3 million which was a record fee for an English club (at the time). 'Pogback' as they used to say back then.

Though the pressure and expectation were high considering the fee of his transfer, I'd argue Pogba early time at United went relatively well, his performance were sometime inconsistent and he wasn't alway fit but he was a key part of the team that won the League Cup and the Europa League in his first season back at the club.

However, things never were as good at United compared to Juventus and Pogba was very often the victim of critisism regarding his mistake on defensive duty and lack of concentration at time. There also many who thought he didn't acted mature enough considering his importance in the team. There were even continued tensions between and head coach Jose Mourinho later in his time at United which lead to Pogba getting benched at time.

It was only when Mourinho got sacked that Pogba saw a bit of a revival under new manager Ole Gunnar Solskjær. His performance in that same season was enough to net him a place in the PFA team of the year for the 2018–19 season.

After that, Pogba would slowly start playing less and less (mainly because of fitness reason) for United despite forming a good duo with new United player Bruno Fernandes. In the end, on 1 June 2022, United announced that Pogba contract would not be renewed.

Worth noting that at an international level, Pogba was a key actor for the French national team in their 2016 campaign where they reached the final and the victory at the 2018 world cup.

After leaving United, he ended up re-joining Juventus on a free. Pogback again. Sadly, injury kept him from being able to play much football for the Turin based club and now, you propably heard of it but Pogba was involved in failed drugs test scandal and he risk a lenghty suspension that could mean he might not be able to play football for the next 2 to 4 years.

So, is Pogba career at the top level truly over and done with? Thought on his career as a whole? Was he a massive flop or just a good player that peoples expected too much of?

Comments
DarthFooty 5 months ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1099

In my opinion, it's a mix of super-high expectations and the player's own somewhat self-sabotage. He was an absolute baller when at his peak. A blend of power and grace, creativity and control, but also a bit lazy and undisciplined.

What we seem to forget is that we have been blessed with two titans of the game, both changing the standards of statistical greatness, for the last 20 years. Anyone not coming close to those levels is deemed "OK". Heck, both Ronaldo and Messi, if they don't perform up to the ridiculous stats and consistency they created, they are deemed "old" or "done".

When you compare other players, like Pogba, you have to put CR and Messi in their own group or tier, then measure the rest of the world.

If you can do that, then you can look at Pogba to understand that he was awesome at his peak. Hazard is another example. Not even close to being a flop, but not meeting the stupid expectation set to a god-tier standard.

Emobot7 5 months ago Edited
538 11432

@DarthFooty Good take but I'd like to note some take about it. One of the biggest difference between players like Messi and Ronaldo and the rest, like Pogba, wasn't only their stat but also their availability and consistency.

Messi and Ronaldo could play nearly 40 to 50 games most season and keep their amazing stat through them. Players like Pogba or Neymar would miss lots of game because of injury and then need a couple of game to return to top level. That didn't mean their ceilling wasn't absolutely amazing but it does mean it wasn't possible to compare them in a situation similar to that of other GOAT tier players.

What I'm trying to say is that its hard not to feel dissapointed we'll never know the height some players like Pogba could have reached if they had been more healthy and disciplined through their career.

Also, I do think the Hazard comparison is interesting because while it is true that Hazard was also injury prone at time and would be inconsistent, he was very much of a seasonal type of player in the sense he would tend to have very good season or just really bad one, no in-between. Meanwhile, Pogba has a lot more mixed seasons where he does well in some parts of a season and relatively less well in other parts of the same season. Just an interesting difference I notice between the two.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

@DarthFooty Good take but I'd like to note some take about it. One of the biggest difference between like Messi and Ronaldo and the rest, like Pogba, wasn't only their stat but also their availability and consistency.

Messi and Ronaldo could play nearly 40 to 50 games most season and keep their amazing stat through them. Players like Pogba or Neymar would miss lots of game because of injury and then need a couple of game to return to top level. That didn't mean their ceilling wasn't absolutely amazing but it does mean it wasn't possible to compare them in a situation similar to that of other great player.

What I'm trying to say is that its hard not to feel dissapointed we'll never know the height some players like Pogba could have reached if he had been more healthy and disciplined through his career.

Also, I do think the Hazard comparison is interesting because while it is true that Hazard was also injury prone at time and would be inconsistent, he was very much of a seasonal type of player in the sense he would tend to have very good season or just really bad one, no in-between. Meanwhile, Pogba has a lot more mixed seasons where he does well in some parts of a season and relatively less well in other parts of the same season. Just an interesting difference I notice between the two.

@DarthFooty Good take but I'd like to note some take about it. One of the biggest difference between players like Messi and Ronaldo and the rest, like Pogba, wasn't only their stat but also their availability and consistency.

Messi and Ronaldo could play nearly 40 to 50 games most season and keep their amazing stat through them. Players like Pogba or Neymar would miss lots of game because of injury and then need a couple of game to return to top level. That didn't mean their ceilling wasn't absolutely amazing but it does mean it wasn't possible to compare them in a situation similar to that of other great player.

What I'm trying to say is that its hard not to feel dissapointed we'll never know the height some players like Pogba could have reached if he had been more healthy and disciplined through his career.

merloman 5 months ago
CD Chivas USA, USA 0 2

Paul Pogba's football career has indeed been a rollercoaster of highs and lows. His early promise at Le Havre and explosion onto the scene with Juventus, where he won the Golden Boy award and was part of the UEFA Team of the Year, marked him as one of football's most exciting talents. His move to Manchester United for a then-record fee brought immense expectations, and while he did have moments of brilliance, his time at United was marred by inconsistency, injuries, and tensions with management.

Despite this, Pogba played a crucial role in United's Europa League and League Cup victories, and he experienced a resurgence under Ole Gunnar Solskjær. However, injury issues and reduced playing time eventually led to his departure from United.

Internationally, Pogba has been influential for France, significantly contributing to their 2018 World Cup victory and their Euro 2016 campaign. His return to Juventus was a noteworthy move, but injuries have limited his impact.

Regarding the alleged failed drug test scandal and the potential suspension, this is a significant development that could impact the remainder of his career. It's essential to await official confirmations and outcomes of any investigations or proceedings in such cases.

Evaluating Pogba's career, it's a mix of unfulfilled potential and genuine brilliance. He was perhaps not the transformative player many hoped he would be, especially at Manchester United, but to label him a "massive flop" might be too harsh. His talent and contributions, especially in his early years and on the international stage, highlight a player of exceptional ability, albeit one whose career trajectory didn't consistently match the early expectations

Midnighteagle 4 months ago
Arsenal, England 0 10

Paul Pogba is a mediocre player, he did not deserve to play for such great clubs as Manchester United and Juventus