Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Canada Qualify for World Cup 2022
Emobot7 2 years ago Edited
538 11432

So as you guys know, I'm Canadian and as you guys also propably know... Canada officially qualified for the 2022 World Cup in Quatar, something that never happened since 1986 (i wasn't alive back then). Its pretty crazy and kinda exciting to think my national team is going to play the world cup. Its great for the sport here in Canada at least. What are your thought on Canada qualifying?

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

So as you guys know, I'm Canadian and as you guys also propably know... Canada officially qualified for the 2022 World Cup in Quatar, something that never happened since 1986 (i wasn't alive back then). Its pretty crazy and kinda exciting to think me national team is going to play the world cup. Its great for the sport here in Canada at least. What are your thought on Canada qualifying?

Comments
DarthFooty 2 years ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1099

Love it and hope they show well in the cup. You get two qualifications back to back since the next WC is "North America".

As for playing, they look pretty darn good lately. They have some legit players and a style that does not agree with a lot of teams they play against, making it hard to play them.

I played a lot with Scott Munson, and he is super happy right now.

SunFlash 2 years ago
USA 19 3260

I was there in BMO Field yesterday and it was a party atmosphere for sure. The team is 100% a World Cup caliber team, but sadly we do have some weakness that will likely prevent us from doing so well against legit World Cup teams.

Canada's attack is genuinely good. The midfield is a mid to lower caliber internationally, and our keeper is excellent. The wingbacks are solid too, but the main problem are the CB's. They suck. A lot. The manager has created a system that protects them really well, but also nullifies a lot of the attacking potential the team has.

The fans are aware of this too. Doneil Henry, a starting CB for us, got put on toast at least 4 times yesterday. Against Jamaica. There were even ripples of boos when they announced him on the PA as part of our qualifying squad. When you're playing against the Brazil's and England's of the world, we'll concede in buckets.

But at the end of the day, I'm just happy that Canada made it an is in a position to get better in the future.

Emobot7 2 years ago
538 11432

@Sunflash Good analysis, won't lie, I propably don't know that Canadian teams as much as I should. Just hoping we don't get too many good team in our group. Anyway, like you said, the best bout the whole thing is that its gonna be a boost for the growth of the sport here.

@DarthFooty Yeah, from what I seen, other teams just don't like playing against us. We took full advantage of our home advantage though and I think that helped us making thing harder for lots of team. There might have been some underestimation from some team like Mexico and the United-State as well.

DarthFooty 2 years ago

Teams that sleep on Canada are in for a surprise. You all outright qualified for a spot, not an auto birth. While CONCACAF is not a power region, we have all seen some strong teams represent.

Sun's note on the CB position is accurate, but Canada's best defense is their offense right now. Team offense! Perhaps a run in the tourney is in the cards and it puts the country on the map. It should definitely drive national interest to help grow the game.

Emobot7 2 years ago
538 11432

@DarthFooty Honestly, the dream would be to make it out of the group phase somehow but I'd be happy with scoring a few goals and having the team make an impression. You know, make it an inspiring campaign at the very least.

DarthFooty 2 years ago

@Emobot7 Unless they end up in a really nasty group, I can see this Canadian team making the second round. They are big, physical, and have good team speed. They press well and push things offensively.

The US has never been a possession team and Mexico has dropped a bit in overall team dynamics, so I am not sure how they would do against the Spains, Brazil, France, Germany, Belgium of the world, but that does not mean they can't do enough to make it through the group stage at least.

Emobot7 2 years ago Edited
538 11432

@DarthFooty Considering we're in pot 4 and that team in pot 1 and 2 are pretty strong, change are relatively high that we do get stuck with a pretty nasty group... Please let us be in group A to play against Quatar lol.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

@DarthFooty Considering we're in pot 4 and that team in pot 1 and 2 are pretty strong, change are relatively high that we do get stuck with a pretty nasty groupe... Please let us be in group A to play against Quatar lol.

Emrecan_58 2 years ago
Besiktas 149 3375

Glad to see Canada out there man. Legend Atiba will not retire without seeing a world cup. Precious!!

Emobot7 2 years ago
538 11432

@Emrecan I know, love that guy so much! Respect for his devotion and playing big part in the qualification as well.

Emrecan_58 2 years ago
Besiktas 149 3375

Exactly bro. He's going down as a Beşiktaş and Canada legend for sure. Can not say the same about Larin though he really sucks at Beşiktaş even though he's doing amazing for Canada.

Emobot7 2 years ago
538 11432

@Emrecan Welp, sorry about Larin, can't have everything I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yusuf_10 2 years ago
Manchester City, England 16 73

if england win i hope canada are second

Emobot7 2 years ago
538 11432

@Yusuf Thanks mate, I also wish for you that England does well. They got a very good momentum at least, having finised top 4 in 2018 and being finalist in the last euro.