Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

BREAKING! DIEGO MARADONA HAS DIED AGED 60.
Gennady 3 years ago Edited
Manchester United 284 3961

Diego Maradona dead: Argentinian football legend passes away aged 60

enter image description here

Argentinian football legend and winner of the 1986 World Cup, Diego Maradona, has passed away at home in Tigre after suffering a heart attack, according to reports in Argentina.
Maradona, 60, was recovering at home following brain surgery in Buenos Aires, where he was successfully treated for a blood clot on the brain earlier this month.

Last Friday, Maradona was sedated by medics after the former footballer suffered issues related to alcohol dependency following his surgery, with doctors describing the legend as suffering from a "mix" of serious issues, including cardiovascular and liver issues.

It was stated that Maradona would require constant support, including admission to an alcohol addiction clinic, following his discharge from hospital.

However, according to Clarin.com, while recovering at home, Maradona suffered a heart attack and passed away shortly afterward.

A legendary career

Maradona emerged from the youth ranks in the late 1970s at Argentinos Juniors, where he scored 116 goals from 167 games before signing for one of the country's biggest clubs, Boca Juniors. His talents were soon spotted by Europe's top scouts, and he was lured away to La Liga by Barcelona before joining unfashionable Serie A side Napoli in 1984, where he became a legend.

On the international stage, Maradona's hot-headed nature was on show as he exploded into the Argentina national team ahead of the 1982 World Cup in Spain. But his temper got the better of him when he was sent off for kicking out at Brazilian player Batista in the knockout stages as Argentina crashed out of the tournament.

Maradona returned four years later with a point to prove, and produced arguably the best tournament performance by a single player in World Cup history as he led Argentina to the top of the world at the 1986 World Cup.

His infamous "Hand of God" goal against hated rivals England elevated Maradona, already an icon in his homeland, to even greater heights, while his second goal in teh game, a mesmerizing run from inside his own half, is still regarded by many as the greatest goal ever scored in World Cup.

His career went on the decline after 1986, but he still led Argentina to the final of the 1990 World up, issues with banned substances marred his appearance four years later in the United States, and gave a glimpse of the troubles that would befall him after his career.

Maradona latterly stayed in the game as a manager, and enjoyed stints with a host of clubs, including Textil Mandiyu, Racing Club, Al-Wasl, Fujairah, Dorados de Sinaloa and, most recently, Gimnasia de La Plata.

He also took charge of the Argentina national team between 2008 and 2010 and led the team into the 2010 World Cup, where they were eventually eliminated in the quarter-finals.

Personal troubles

While Maradona's successes on the field led to fame and fortune, as well as the reputation as one of, if not the, greatest players to ever play the game, the trappings of success plagued Maradona throughout the latter part of his career and well into his retirement.

Through the mid-1980s until 2004, Maradona battled a cocaine addiction and latterly in his career struggled with his weight. His struggles with obesity eventually led him to undergo gastric bypass surgery.

He also struggled with alcohol, and was hospitalized in 2007 with hepatitis and effects of alcohol abuse. Then, earlier this year, he was admitted to hospital where he underwent brain surgery for a subdural hematoma. But his recovery ended in tragedy on Nov. 25 when it was reported by Argentinian outlets that Maradona had passed away.

After hearing the news of Maradona's death, Argentine President Alberto Fernandez has declared three days of national mourning.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Diego Maradona dead: Argentinian football legend passes away aged 60

Argentinian football legend and winner of the 1986 World Cup, Diego Maradona, has passed away at home in Tigre after suffering a heart attack, according to reports in Argentina.
MORE TO FOLLOW...

Comments
PureVPN 3 years ago
1 14

Sad day for football.

_Pelle_ 3 years ago
Paris Saint-Germain 156 6885

Very controversial outside the pitch, but nonetheless a true football legend and arguably the best ever.

To the football family this is a big loss. RiP.

Algerino 3 years ago
Napoli, Algeria 6 845

As a napoli fan Im absolutely devastated.

ForeverBayern 3 years ago
Bayern Munich, Germany 44 593

Oh no. He is the reason why football has millions of fans. REST IN PEACE MARADONA.

uncle_touchy 3 years ago
Manchester United, England 3 123

Rip

Emobot7 3 years ago
538 11432

Omg... I got no word, I just heard the news and I'm still shocked. I knew he had lot of problem with his health but I never thought he would die at only 60 years of old. I was expecting him to be active for another 10 years. Really sad and shocking.

No matter how you felt about Maradona in general, you cannot help feeling devasted hearing that news. A big loss for the footballing world as a whole.

Rest in peace legend. He'll be missed but never forgoten.

My thought goes to his family and to the Argentinian people for this will be especially hard for them.

Gennady 3 years ago
Manchester United 284 3961

@Emobot7

Absolutely shocking news. This is a very very sad day for football indeed.

Rest In Peace The Great, Diego Maradona.

DarthFooty 3 years ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1099

LEGEND! RIP

tuan_jinn 3 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

R.I.P legend.

This year has been a freakin nightmare all and all.

I remember after WC86 ppl still talked about him and his brilliances. I was a fan in WC90 as my family was... Good old days....

We will miss you, legend.

expertfootball11 3 years ago
Real Madrid, France 64 2837

Not much to say about that, saddened, spent part of my youth watching old games with him etc... May he rest in peace

Yusuf_10 3 years ago
Manchester City, England 16 73

whattt! itteraly had no idea he died sad day 4 footy

Emrecan_58 3 years ago
Besiktas 149 3375

A great man! Huge loss for football...enter image description here

tiki_taka 3 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Imagine if he didn't went to Napoli and meet Mafia and cocaine...

Btw he won in 1987 the Calcio and 1989, but nobody speak about 1988 they were 5 pts ahead of Ac Milan 5 games left, they surpringly lost 4 of the games and Milan of Berlusconi won the Calcio. I'm 99% sure it wasn't accidental and imo Mafia were putting pressure on him for dark reasons...

In 1990 he reached WC final and in 1994 he couldn't end up his WC while ephedrine was a legal substance... ( He paid his frontal attacks over FIFA thief's )

He was the first superstar player, comming from a poor neighborhood with simple education and no mentors, we would all do his mistakes in that circumstances... And for me I never waited his death to defend him, he got balls to state political opinions and stand against injustice...

For me he was better than Pele by miles and he was playing in butchers era, all these circumstances make him even bigger in my eyes...