Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

"Beautiful" Play
Vendetta 11 years ago
Chelsea FC, Egypt 202 3025

So on another website, this idiot brings up "park the bus" to try to diss the Chelsea fans. I like an idiot, couldn't resist arguing. He called Chelsea a boring team. And same with Manchester City. We got to the point where we talked about who plays beautiful football. He starts naming a few. There is one team that really struck me. It actually surprised me that people still consider it a team that plays beautiful football. Arsenal. Now here me out first. I'm not going to insult Arsenal or mock, but I want to see what others in this forum think what beautiful play is. 

During 2006-2007 with Robben and Duff bombing down the wings we played some of the most exciting football I can remember. We also had the amazing passers such as Makelele, or Essien (prime) to make the beautiful passes. Then, there was Lampard to as the amazing AM midfielder who made some beautiful goals and assists. How about that 4-2 against Barca? Possibly the most fun I have ever had watching a football match!

I always thought the press labelled teams like Chelsea boring because it fits with their narrative of Chelsea being ruthless mercenaries. The same way that Arsenal play “beautiful football”. Do they? Not for a long time in my book! They have improved a little with the addition of Cazorla but my god they can be boring. Anything in the press about them being boring? OF COURSE NOT. The teams I saw being exciting and full of beautiful play are the teams with fast pace, good wingers, and some players who do skills. Pace, skill, and goals that involve teamwork are what I see as beautiful play. Like Barcelona (except when they just keep on passing for a long time), BVB, Real Madrid, Bayern, Shakhtar, Porto(Martinez FTW), and Ajax. In the end though, I don't care about how a team plays. I just want to know your thoughts on what you truly consider beautiful play. Is it the passes? The pace? The goals? Or all of them together (which is hard to find in a team).

Comments
JuanMata10 11 years ago
Chelsea, Austria 17 1696

that's beautiful football in my opinion

I also think that Shakhtar and BVB play the most beautiful football in Europe, because they dont pass back and forth for a couple of minutes like Barcelona. They try to create as many opportunities for a goal as possible and there's only one direction for them.

Gotta love the 1st, 3rd and 4th goal. But it's a shame Willian moved to Anzhi, he was my favourite player of the Shakhtar squad.

Lodatz 11 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

Not touching the Arsenal part, but that does bring to mind something that occurred to me a while back.

Remember when Chelsea beat Bayern Munich in 2005? (It was after they beat Barcelona, for those who want to know ;p) There was a goal by Lampard which was simply wonderful (see below). But who across the continent recognized it as wonderful?

No-one, that's who. 

If it had been Zidane scoring this goal, it would have been hailed as one of the goals of the season, and perhaps rightfully so. But because it was just Frank 'Fatty' Lampard, playing for 'boring, anti-football' Chelsea, no-one even batted an eyelid.

The sad thing is, this goes on all the time. Chelsea being 'negative' is simply part of a narrative, put about by those who don't like it when teams focus on defense. It's also part of the reason why people assume there's no technical ability in the PL, when in reality there is tons of it. We just don't go about gushing about it all the time, demanding that everyone praise us for it.

Chelsea may have only won one CL in the Abramovic era, but they also won 3 league titles (coming 2nd 4 times), 4 FA Cups, 2 League Cups, and have played in 2 CL finals. You can't do that with 'negative' football.

Fact is, the Blues have simply been able to adapt to their opposition, and in some cases, that means defending the castle. That's not 'negative' football; that's just football.

MRarsenal500 11 years ago
Arsenal, England 59 741

ignore innit

ikoiko 11 years ago
Arsenal, Spain 53 853

@ Lodatz, that's definitely a "beautiful" goal in my book.

I hadn't heard any banter about Chelsea playing anti-football or parking the bus, until their champions league match-up with Barcelona. I didn't like the way they played that game and I do believe that in that specific match they indeed played some atrocious football, but other than that I can't say I have ever heard or thought that Chelsea is known for "ugly football" or what have you. They've always been a highly respected club in the PL in my eyes.

Vendetta, I have to agree that Arsenal haven't been consistent with their game in the past two seasons, but I wouldn't go so far as to say they haven't played great football in a long time! Their 2009-2010 squad could have definitely taken the premiership title in my honest opinion if it were not for the lack of "beautiful defense", but seriously I think their performance that season was phenomenal minus the occasional defensive smoke break. And I have to say that press about Arsenal these days is anything but gravy.

Anyhow, beautiful football to me can be a great ball-winning tackle. It's great passes, a nutmeg, glimpses of skill that are effective and not used for flash, controlling a difficult pass with ease (like Luis Suarez did against newcastle), and so on.

Lodatz 11 years ago

@ikoiko: "Anyhow, beautiful football to me can be a great ball-winning tackle. It's great passes, a nutmeg, glimpses of skill that are effective and not used for flash, controlling a difficult pass with ease (like Luis Suarez did against newcastle), and so on."

+1. I agree 100%.

But, yeah, the 'anti-football' accusation has been aimed at Chelsea for years; ironically (or perhaps tellingly) ever since Mourinho's team beat Barcelona in the 2004/05 CL. Barcelona wittered on about 'negative' this, and 'racist' that, and really just sold the story that they'd been 'robbed' by an inferior team who didn't want to play football properly.

This stigma has lasted ever since, from what I have heard, though if you're telling it's not the case in Spain, then I believe you and I'm glad to hear it. :)

ikoiko 11 years ago
Arsenal, Spain 53 853

That's funny Lodatz, because the same can be said about Barça vs. Chelsea in 2009. Those facts are entirely biased and if they're still prevalent it is because people keep repeating what they hear instead of forming their own opinions.

And I live in the United States, I don't know what the consensus is in the motherland.

Lodatz 11 years ago

7 years on, and I'd say Frank's still got that sweet technique.. :)

Lodatz 11 years ago

Hrm. for some reason I couldn't post a video. Trying again:

Golden 11 years ago
35 693

@Vendetta,

Hah, so you've seen Martinez? Exactly what you need(ed). :)

knibis 11 years ago
Valencia, Sweden 181 2500

Vendetta 11 years ago

@Golden: I'll be honest. I haven't heard of him at all until last month. I saw his amazing talent so I saw more highlights of him. His backheel goal is world class. I think Porto have got another 30 million player in their hands.

Lodatz 11 years ago

Ooooh. Tall, strong, skilled, confident...

...I wonder if (read: hope that) AVB has been watching? >.>

Vendetta 11 years ago

Being a former Porto manager, AVB might buy him by summer. I don't think Porto will let him leave easily like that though.

Lodatz 11 years ago

Not to co-opt the thread into a Spurs chat, but, if I were AVB I'd ask Levy to shell out 10m for Son, and maybe offer 15m for this dude? Who knows. But that would be a solid move, in my book, especially with them both being young.

knibis 11 years ago

Seriously why are they leaving porto... porto is a regular CL and won it 2004. its a big club. They should encourage more players to stay there..

Do I smell a greedy president who sees his team only as a way for him to make money (buy cheap, sell for huge sums)

Golden 11 years ago
35 693

@Vendetta: You're absolutely right. He's better than Falcao. You'll see it in a year or two.

@Lodatz & @Don: Right now, Porto won't sell him for anything around 10 million. I understand it's his market value, but if he leaves, we'll get much more. After all, he's got 18 goals in 17 games, and like you hinted Lodatz, Martinez is as complete as you can get in a footballer.

@knibis: It's a bit sad, but extraordinary. FC Porto is a very special club. We have the best scouting network in the world (there's going to be more of that in my Club Profile in four days). Porto is basically a club that runs by scouting players and selling them for enormous profit. This has been our presidents way of holding the club in an incredibly stabil and low debt since he came -- and it's working like a money machine. It's a fantastic way of earning money, although I'd love to see more players stay. It's pretty sad to see big talents go year after year.

By the way, Martinez scored two goals for Colombia today. ;)

DonAndres 11 years ago
Barcelona 62 1138

@Golden
Relax,mate..
Better than Falcao?

Golden 11 years ago
35 693

I'm relaxed. :) But like I said, you'll see. Have all the doubt you want, but by watching every game of his since he came to Porto, this guy has shown better qualities than Falcao.

knibis 11 years ago

imagne Jackson, Falcao and Hulk together... why do porto sell. Dont they have good economy.. If I would be asked to leave to Tottenham for example i wouldnt (no disrespect to spur) sence Porto is a top-club.