Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Basque derby today...
knibis 11 years ago
Valencia, Sweden 181 2500

In the stadium both teams supporters are not really enemy's of each other even though its a derby..
They feel the friendship first. that they are from the same region: Basque

Real Sociedad are 3 points away from a CL spot (due to Malaga beeing expelled from EL and Cl next season)

Atletic on the other hand just got 6 points down to relegation

Predictions: Real Sociedad to take a surprise win (if we can call it that) in San Mames
0-2. Real Sociedad might be on the same track as that 2002/2003 season where they finished 2nd even though they will not finish that high this year

This is the last Derby Atletic will play in  the old san mames "the cathedral" (oldest spanish stadium) before the new is ready for the 2013-14 season

The new ones capacity will be 56.000 and the "old" one's is 40.000...

Streams: Wiziwig.tv

Comments
raimondo90 11 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

Weird they play on a Friday. I think it will be 1-2 for Sociedad. 

Off topic but Knibis with Malaga banned from both EC and CL does that mean fifth place gets CL and sixth Beth EC assuming Malaga remain fourth?

knibis 11 years ago

Yeah I think so..

raimondo90 11 years ago

Well that's a relief for us. Poor season but we can still get CL. 

Lodatz 11 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

Why are Malaga banned? O.o

DonAndres 11 years ago
Barcelona 62 1138

No!
Bilbao wont lose tonight!
2-1 for me

knibis 11 years ago

Malaga got banned even though there are probably 20 clubs with worse economy than them in the 4 biggest leagues..

Uefa just wanted to set an example so Malaga became a victim

knibis 11 years ago

whats so good about Atletic is that they have good economy and they would never need any money to buy players since they only have Basque born players in their squad.. They use the money to build stadiums and stuff like that

What they rely on is a good youth academy

raimondo90 11 years ago

It's only because of unpaid wages and taxes. There are a few other clubs that also got punished. 

JuanMata10 11 years ago
Chelsea, Austria 17 1696

@Knibis: They don't use only Basque-born players, Amorebieta is the exception :) he was born in Venezuela, but he is able to play for Atletic because his parents are Basque and he also was in Atletic's academy =)

knibis 11 years ago

yeah i know. but it has to proven that the players parents are of Basque decent. Basque country are 4 regions in Spain and 3 in France

Lodatz 11 years ago

I've always wondered why it is that is a mark of pride. It's actually xenophobia.

Imagine if Bayern only took players of Bavarian descent. They'd be (rightly) called fascists. :p

raimondo90 11 years ago

Well at a time AC Milan only allowed Italian that's why Inter came about to allow any nationality. Spaniards see it differently especially since its been that way for many years. The Basque are really proud to stay pure and what not. 

Lodatz 11 years ago

Oh, I get the historical significance. But when you think about it, it's really just fascism treated as something romantic.

It's not like Catalonia takes their 'national' pride any less than the Spanish Basque, but even in the Catalan-heavy Barcelona of today there's a fair mix of other nationalities. 

ikoiko 11 years ago
Arsenal, Spain 53 853

It's a touchy subject Lodatz, I wouldn't call it fascism simply because if you look at Spain's history, present-day Spain is more so a political state of countries, and not the other way around. I don't mean to lecture because I'm sure you're aware of the history, but Spain is comprised of various cultures that were oppressed by a fascist government, and were obligated to set aside their practices and adhere to those of Castile. Athletic Club de Bilbao is only sticking to their roots. I think fascist is too strong of a word to describe what they believe in. This is of course why the fan base in all of Spain is extremely dedicated to their home clubs, because it's a form of identity that the government once stole from them.

Having said that, I hope Athletic Club wins tonight!

Lodatz 11 years ago

@ikoiko: I do appreciate that sense of identity, and in many ways I do find it admirable. I've studied the Spanish Civil War as part of political studies, and can appreciate the tension involved in that history, also.

However, there's a difference to me between being proud of your local heroes, and knowing they are one of your own, and excluding anyone OTHER than locals play for your team.

To me, that's not pride, and I would caution the folk of the Basque to look at wider European history for examples of just how terribly wrong things can go when adhering to such ideas. I don't find it to be something to look up to, but rather something that should be left behind, along with all the other mistakes made by those who wished to promote or champion a particular ethnicity.

Anyways. I've said my piece, and have no stake in the game itself, so..  May The Best Team Win!

ikoiko 11 years ago
Arsenal, Spain 53 853

I can see your point. Kudos.

knibis 11 years ago

Loadest buuu's ever when LLorente entered the pitch... just after vela scored 1-3 to sociedad...

Beeing an Atletic supporter tonight might not be the easiest