Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Assou-Ekotto admits he could quit Tottenham for a 'bigger club'
iftikar2k7 12 years ago
Manchester United, England 16 12

The Cameroon international, who signed from French club Lens in 2006, has been a mainstay of Tottenham's first team since Harry Redknapp took over in 2008, impressing with his style and attacking flair.

But Assou-Ekotto insists Spurs chairman Daniel Levy will not stand in the way should one of Europe's elite clubs make a move.

Speaking to France Football, he said: "Everything is possible. When I met the chairman last January he told me that, if a club bigger than Tottenham came in for me, he wouldn't necessarily be against my departure.

"If there is a change at Tottenham - some more money is made available - I wouldn't be against the idea of staying, but otherwise I'll try to move forwards, as I did when I left Lens.

"If I have to leave Tottenham, is to join a club that makes the Champions League. All players want to play in this competition. A few months ago, I said I never wanted to play in the Europa League because that competition is useless."

Assou-Ekotto also admitted that he is intrigued by the prospect of playing outside of the Premier League.

"Spain, Italy or Germany, whatever. The grass is green everywhere," he added. "I have a gentleman's agreement with the chairman. As he is a man of his word, I hope that will make things easier if a great club comes in."

Comments
Footaholic 12 years ago
Arsenal, Egypt 178 2277

Oh no. Another "gentleman's agreement". Sad to hear when players say things like this. But I'd give the least grief to BAO b/c he's always consistently said that he plays football for the money, not because he loves it.  Still it pains me to hear players talk like this. Whatever happened to being passionate for the club you play for? If not, at least have enough respect to not tell the media that you want to move to a "bigger club" while you're still there. Everybody's a fukin mercenary these days.

Footaholic 12 years ago
Arsenal, Egypt 178 2277

Oh, and one more thing. Did anyone notice when UCL qualification developed into the end-all of a club's worth?  I mean, Basel made it to the CL, does that make it a better club to play in than Liverpool or possibly Inter? For Christ sake there's more to the game than that alone.

Jimskeleton 12 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, England 7 728

Completely agree Footaholic.

To be honest wouldn't be too disappointed if he left, he can be very good when he wants but always has his risks that come with him, only problem would be his replacement, we don't have another LB, Rose has been playing there when needed and he is a liability as he is playing out of position and unless Kyle Naughton plays there when he comes back from loan it will mean spending money which we don't seem to want to do at the moment.

expertfootball11 12 years ago
Real Madrid, France 64 2837

What a twat . He does not understand he's already in a big club . This is once again bad example for youngsters.

knibis 12 years ago
Valencia, Sweden 181 2500

like Valencia...

GunnerGo 12 years ago
Arsenal, Venezuela 13 345

Footaholic you are so right

ikoiko 12 years ago
Arsenal, Spain 53 853

Europa league is useless? Really?

Not denying Assou-Ekotto's ability, but he seems to have his head a bit far up in the clouds. A bigger club than Tottenham making an offer for him seems highly unlikely in my opinion. Tottenham has potential to be a contending club and it's players who lack heart for their club that keep the said club down.

@Footaholic, I wholeheartedly agree. Kind of rings a bell, doesn't it? E.g., Samir Nasri.

Ronaldo-R9 12 years ago
Inter, Italy 19 337

The same as Garreth Bale he said that if Tottenham doesnt qualify for UCL than he will leave the club... Well i hope Bale will join us he can play as LB defender.. Chivu and Nagatomo are not very good LB players..