Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Argentina vs Brazil: Police Violence, Trash-talk and Racism
Emobot7 5 months ago Edited
538 11432

Really wish I didn't have to do a thread with that title but I don't think we can ignore the incidents surrounding Brazil home defeat to Argentina in the WC qualifier.

So as you know, before the game even started, there were violence and repression by the police against Argentinan fans. This naturally outraged the Argentina player which led them to go back into their locker room as they concluded that was the best thing to do to calm things down. Was it the right thing to do, I don't know.

After that, when the Argentina team came back on to play the game, Rodrygo was seen having a heated discussion with Messi. Apparently, Rodrygo called Messi and his team cowards for going back into the locker room and delaying a game to which Messi answered to by saying he and his team-mate were the World Cup champions and that he became champion there, in Maracana (Brazil own stadium).

Rodrygo later on was swarmed with racist comments on social media and made a comment about how unnaceptable that is.

Rodrygo father also posted two side by side pictures of Messi getting confrontational with Rodrygo and Uruguay defender Mathias Olivera with the caption: The saint who does not mess with anyone.

Personally, not a big fan of how Rodrygo acted but I understand trash-talk is part of football, doesn't excuse any kind of racism against him though.

Honestly very ugly scene and I feel the rivality between Brazil and Argentina doesn't have to be this way. Feel like Neymar being around could have helped has he has much more respect for Messi and the reverse is just as true.

Thought?

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Really wish I didn't have to do a thread with that title but I don't think we can ignore the incidents surrounding Brazil home defeat to Argentina in the WC qualifier.

So as you know, before the game even started, there were violence and repression by the police against Argentinan fans. This naturally outraged the Argentina player which led them to go back into their locker room as they concluded that was the best thing to do to calm things down. Was it the right thing to do, I don't know.

After that, when the Argentina team came back on to play the game, Rodrygo was seen having a heated discussion with Messi. Apparently, Rodrygo called Messi and his team cowards for going back into the locker room and delaying a game to which Messi answered to by saying he and his team-mate were the World Cup champions and that he became champion there, in Maracana (Brazil own stadium).

Rodrygo later on was swarmed with racist comments on social media and made a comment about how unnaceptable that is.

Rodrygo father also posted two side by side pictures of Messi getting confrontational with Rodrygo and Uruguay defender Mathias Olivera with the caption: The saint who does not mess with anyone.

Honestly very ugly scene and I feel the rivality between Brazil and Argentina doesn't have to be this way. Feel like Neymar being around could have helped has he has much more respect for Messi and the reverse is just as true.

Thought?

Comments
_Pelle_ 5 months ago
Paris Saint-Germain 156 6885

Brazil is the only NT that has never missed a WC tournament. And they barely manage to keep themselves on the 6th and lost spot in the WC qualifiers.
In contrast to that Argentina, their biggest rival, is a world champion. That hurts, especially their pride.

I’ve seen this kind of behavior a few times in Africa where a country treats a visiting team really badly because of it being a fierce rival.

The Brazilians need to get their **** together because they haven’t been good for some time now and stop acting like this imo.

Emobot7 5 months ago
538 11432

@Pelle I don't disagree, think Ancelotti will do them a lot of good if only mentaly. Cause right now, it feel like they aren't quite realizing they are not as good as they should be. Tbf, it has to be somewhat hard for some of them to come from their serial winning european club in Europe and to comprehend that the Brazil national team isn't really as good at the moment, depsite the fact that its should be one of the best NT in the world.

Neymar absence is really hurting them anyway and thats impressive to see because they should still be a force to be reckoned with the sheer amount of quality they have.

As a neutral, I love to see changing dynamic but tbf, I'm kinda hoping Brazil goes back to their winning way soon.

Seem to me like there are less controversies outside of the field when they are winning as well.

Footy_watch 5 months ago
Arsenal, Brazil 23 1859

Messi's response to rodrygo was disgusting it was cowardice again by Argentina that 2 players were attacking rodrygo. Argentina robbed their way to the world cup and think they are the best team. Midget messi forgetting that we have 5 World cups.
Joelinton getting a false red card sums up how the world cup was rigged for Argentina.

Emobot7 5 months ago
538 11432

@Footywatch You say attacked but it seem to me like the Brazilian police were a lot more physically agressive than Messi ever was with Rodrygo. Like, I won't say Messi a saint cause he ain't and you're allowed to have your feeling and thought about the world cup but I think you should consider what you would do if you saw people getting attacked because of a football game you were about to play in.