Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

James Rodriguez --> Spurs?
Lodatz 11 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

http://www.tottenhamblog.com/2013/03/06/spurs-linked-with-colombian-international/?

No it’s not Radamel Falcao but the club continue to be linked with AVB’s former players and the latest to fall under the media radar is 21 year old winger James Rodriguez.  A reported target for Manchester United in the past, Rodriguez comes with a growing reputation and a quoted transfer fee in the region of £25m.

The Colombian, who has ten senior caps for his country, can play either wide on the left or as an attacking midfielder and his goals to game ratio since joining Porto would be the envy of many out-and-out strikers.

In 51 games in Portugal, Rodriguez has struck 22 times and also has two goals while on international duty with Colombia.

Several clubs are said to be joining the queue for the exciting prospect but once again, our head coach’s links with Porto are said to have put Spurs at the front of that queue.

Many wide players will be linked to Spurs between now and the end of the season but James Rodriguez is one of the more exciting names to be mentioned.

I've seen this reported a few times now, which made me take it a little more seriously. I don't know anything about the guy, though -- would love to hear from Golden and other Porto fans, with their thoughts?

Comments
AlexBatak 11 years ago
Chelsea, Italy 204 2707

You were thinking about me a lot mate? lol jk :)) I like James Rodriguez he is a good player

Golden 11 years ago
35 693

Well, obviously he's a new prospect from our side, which certainly isn't an unfamiliar matter. James is without doubt something special, and the quality he's providing on the field is nothing but lovely.

His contract goes out in July 2014, and as there's already interest from Manchester United, Bayern Munich, Juventus, Real Madrid, and now Spurs, I can't tell if these rumors are safe enough to sail through a potential transition to Tottenham. Whether he's going to stay in Porto or move to one of these great clubs, we'll just wait and see.

Talking about a move to Spurs, that will clearly be a great challenge
for him. With stars like Lennon and Bale on the wings, and fabulous
attacking midfielders such as Dembélé, Holtby, Dempsey and Sigurðsson, there's certainly not going to be a walk in the park for him to jump right into that
team.

Hopefully (for us Porto lovers) he's enjoying life in Portugal, having more than enough playing time for a 21-year-old to be -- in a prestigious club like Porto. There's little doubt he's got dreams about challenging and experiencing an even greater football platform in the very biggest leagues such as the EPL, the Bundesliga and La Liga, just like close to every other upcoming star we've seen fare away. However, I think it's a bit too early. And I'd like to add from what I've seen so far about Rodríguez being linked to other clubs: I believe in case there's going to be a move, it will be to United or Real if I'd lay all my bets on the table, but as said, we'll just wait and see.

Hope you got a better overview of the case! :)

Lodatz 11 years ago

If he's everything you say he is, then I'm crossing my fingers that AVB's links with Porto will help us win it!

Don't forget that United just picked up Zaha, and Real have, well, a wealth of attacking mids already. I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

Golden 11 years ago
35 693

Of course. And as you mention, the presence of AVB in Tottenham, a man who's familiar with Rodríguez' abilities after coaching Porto, makes it even more interesting for Spurs to bring him in. Personally I'm, as obvious as it gets, crossing my fingers for him to stay, at least for a couple of more seasons. Then we can cash in even more if he continues with his great performances... ;)

ramaboy10 11 years ago
Mauritius 285 6463

I have seen him play.. excellent player!

He is like Hulk

Footaholic 11 years ago
Arsenal, Egypt 178 2277

@lodatz: I don't know about Rodriguez but this is what I think will happen for Spurs this summer:
#1 - I feel pretty certain that AVB will bag Joao Moutinho from Porto and play him as an Attacking midfielder. The only problem I could foresee with this is that Porto are no mugs when it comes to negotiating & I believe there is a 3rd party owner in the mix so Levy will have to suck it up if he's going to push this through
#2 - I believe Spurs will buy an out and out striker. I have no idea who.
#3 - I believe Bale will stay if you get into the CL (which you will).

Footaholic 11 years ago
Arsenal, Egypt 178 2277

My thoughts are not "breaking news" I know, but I think if those 3 things happen, Spurs will be a tough contender next season. 

Lodatz 11 years ago

@Foot: I'm not sure if Moutinho is still in the plans, now, since Dembele (and Siggy) has been playing well. I'd still love to have him, of course, but I think the spending money will go to forwards instead.

I just hope we don't start up the Damiao saga again. :P

Footaholic 11 years ago
Arsenal, Egypt 178 2277

I guess you would know better, but I thought I heard that they're still in for him. I still think they will get him tbh. Watch this space

Lodatz 11 years ago

I wish I could say I knew; it's merely what to me would make the most sense. 

However, we do have Daniel "Tight-Arse" Levy at the helm, so, who bloody knows. :p