Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

What's the biggest club in your city and why don't you support them?
Wolfie 7 years ago
Inter, Germany 94 1844

I see a lot of people in here who support clubs who are not from their country. Just wondering why that is. Or do you but just like the bigger club too..

Well for me my best friend growing up and his family were fro. Milano. So they had mixed of Inter and Milan fans. My friend was Rossoneri and like to show of about their success. I had always liked Inter as far as I remember. It's something you can't easily explain. A combination of a lot of things. The club chose me

Derbies were always heated, it's something else watching football with a Italians. Especially family who 3/4 Milan 1/4 Inter. That's the way it is you know. There's no such thing as only Milan families or Inter. They are from the same city so families have mixed fans. But this was my best friends family not mine. I enjoyed watching football with them. So passionate. The game didn't end after 90.. It went all all week through banter and jokes.

My home team is Stuttgart Germany. Most of my family support them. But I just never really felt the calling. Local player Klinsmann played for Inter. Matthäus and Brehme. The triplete of Germans.. Haha. Milan had of course van Basten, Rijkhaard, Gullit. The triple of Dutch. There has been a rivalry in International football. When the Dutch dispair of their shortcomings. They claim. Best team to never win. Total football. But hey they chocked big time in the 70's.

88 they got some revenge and they thought they big time now. 90 for Germany silenced them pretty well. And for me club wise Inter scudetto 88/89 after 10 years.

I thought about this maybe subconscious to prefer Inter because of German influence. Milan enemy because of Dutch. I don't think it's an easy of an explanation as that. There are finer details and truth be told I just always preferred Inter and their down to Earth family club. A club that philosophy are Brothers of the World. A club that broke of from Milan because they wouldn't allow foreign players. An International team, a great philosophy. The peoples club.

So there you have it. Why do you support your club I am interested to know.

Comments
tuan_jinn 7 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

My local club is FC Utrecht, the Netherlands. Seems to be a good medium size club... nothing spectacular.

I do support them, but not the way I support Manchester United.

I visit the stadium quite often, not because of the club but for the Sushi Today (decent all-you-can-it). :D

DarthFooty 7 years ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1101

In a lot of ways, exposure to the game here in the US was what helped me shape my favorites over time. The games were hard to find on TV when I was young so I had to rely on major events like the World Cup or big Club tournaments.

Since I grew up in El Paso Tx, I played and watched Mexican footy more than anything as that was what I had around me. Going to Mexico to play matches was awesome, especially when I got a bit older and the rivalry between the US and Mexico really began to show its teeth.

International club teams were a luxury to watch, but when I could, I found myself fixated on Juventus. This was when Juve, Inter Milan, and AC Milan were in their heights of power and the teams were just sick! Then the EPL got on my radar and I was drawn to Manchester United mostly do to its coach and meeting a few of the players in person like Ryan Giggs.

Again, everything was still hard to watch on TV and I was not about to support Mexico or any of their league teams.

I then made the local A-League team in El Paso and do support them to this day. That league has lost its luster of levels and prominence, but it was the top league in the US for a while. I also poured everything into the US National Team as I was in the National Pool, played on the US Futsal Team, and came close to the Olympics.

After the Military, I left for a trial in England with QPR. Never making the first time, I held a cloud of hate over them for the longest time, but in the end, I see what I was able to do while with them. After two seasons in reserves, I came back to the US and up to the Pacific North West to have a go with the Portland Timbers. The USL team at the time was fun to run with but it was injury plagued. I stayed in Portland to work for Nike and do support the Timbers in the MLS.

While with Nike, sponsored teams would come to campus here and I was lucky enough to play with a few of them in scrimmages and kickabouts. Not to mention the number of players visiting for commercials, contracts, vacation, ect.

I decided long ago to find a team in each of the major leagues around the world and support them respectfully. I have a fav in Italy, Spain, Germany, France, Holland, Ireland, Russia, Brazil, Argentina, England, Portugal, etc.....

Kinda lame as I am not considered a Die Hard, by many, but I sure have an appreciation for the game in its entirety.

SunFlash 7 years ago Edited
USA 19 3260

@Darth

If you don't mind me asking, what is your rl name? If you were in the American youth pool I may actually recognize your name. You don't have to post it out here if you don't want to though, obviously. Andrew Gregor is the name that's coming to mind, but no way that's right.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

@Darth

If you don't mind me asking, what is your rl name? If you were in the American youth pool I may actually recognize your name. You don't have to post it out here if you don't want to though, obviously.

DarthFooty 7 years ago

@SunFlash I am not Andrew but I know him. I currently coach for the club he played with and work with some of the kids pushing to get to the T2 side. My RL name is Jason Hall. Have fun looking me up as there is not a ton out there, I tried. haha Kinda nice playing in a time that was not monitored like a hawk on social media. That and my mild successes were not really note worthy in the grand scheme of things.

I do still try to play and run with the young bucks here and there, but I have lost speed, fitness, and the will to do anything about it. :P

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

Yeah, I've never heard of you, no offense. Cool story though, especially for me, because my degree I'm working on is in Sport Management and I would rather work in soccer than other sports (though I really wouldn't mind NFL or other major leagues). I figure that will have me wind up working with MLS in some capacity at somepoint, maybe even an internship next year. Working with companies such as Nike is a common career path for graduates of my program, so what you're doing now seems interesting to me.

I don't suppose you could give me any career advice? :P I understand that it's probably easier as a player to break into the industry, but I obviously don't have your pedigree so I'm open to any type of advice.

DarthFooty 7 years ago

No offense taken my friend. I would love to offer advice or assistance so let's take this to emails if you are comfortable with that? DarthHall13@gmail.com would be fine to reach out. From there I will try to answer as much as I can, maybe see about some contacts in the area. While being a player certainly looks good, there are many who have not played above high school or local club ball.