Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Total Expenditure of Top Clubs in Past 5 Seasons
Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Just looking at total expenditure, not net expenditure (i.e. left out money made from transfers, just looking at money spent).

Additionally, these are only transfer fees that have been disclosed to the public. No undisclosed transfer fees (e.g. Neymar) have been included because the sources are too unreliable. All transfer fees were added up from transfermarkt.com just for consistency's sake.

1. Manchester City: 690.75
  2. Manchester United: 680.76
  3. Chelsea: 601.05
  4. Paris Saint-Germain: 596.05
  5. Juventus: 491.31
  6. Barcelona: 474.67
  7. Real Madrid: 448
  8. Atletico Madrid: 376.56
  9. Roma: 375.75
  10. Monaco: 371.66
  11. Arsenal: 366.23
  12. Bayern Munchen: 344.2
  13. Napoli: 313.09
  14. Borussia Dortmund: 285.55
Comments
Golazo111 7 years ago Edited
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

and Bayern have even less at 125. Just compare their success in the past 14 years with the big spenders (City, Chelsea, United in recent years, Liverpool, Juventus, Inter) who have 350+ transfers (Juventus has almost 700!).

It's easy to get carried away with money when looking into this but when you see closely, Bayern is one of the two German clubs on the list, spent 100 million Euros more than Wolfsburg which makes it clear that they dominate their own domestic league. Since Abramovich took over Chelsea, Bayern won 8 domestic titles, makes it much easier to put higher goals and less need to spend more money since nobody in Germany can compete with them other than Wolfsburg.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

and Bayern have even less at 125. Just compare their success in the past 14 years with the big spenders (City, Chelsea, United in recent years, Liverpool, Juventus, Inter) who have 350+ transfers (Juventus has almost 700!).

It's easy to get carried away with money when looking into this but when you see closely, Bayern is one of the two German clubs on the list, spent more than 100 million Euros more than Wolfsburg which makes it clear that they dominate their own domestic league. Since Abramovich took over Chelsea Bayern won 8 domestic titles, makes it much easier to put higher goals and less need to spend more money since nobody in Germany can compete with them other than Wolfsburg.

It's easy to get carried away with money when looking into this but when you see closely, Bayern is one of the two German clubs on the list, spent 100 million Euros more than Wolfsburg which makes it clear that they dominate their own domestic league. Since Abramovich took over Chelsea Bayern won 8 domestic titles, makes it much easier to put higher goals and less need to spend more money since nobody in Germany can compete with them other than Wolfsburg.

_Gonzi_ 7 years ago
Juventus, Argentina 2 2102

germany can slip up 8 games and they'd still be in the title race. Juve slips up 1 or 2 games, and there's 3 teams who can knock them off the top.

KTBFFHSWE 7 years ago
Chelsea FC, Sweden 52 2449

germany can slip up 8 games and they'd still be in the title race. Juve slips up 1 or 2 games, and there's 3 teams who can knock them off the top.

Not really true in the last 5 years or so, is it? It's been a one horse race

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

If I recall, Juventus had a horrendous start to this season and still had no problem catching up.

Golazo111 7 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Regardless of Juve dominance in their own domestic league, in the top 25 there are Inter,Milan,Napoli,Roma on the list, while in Germany only 1 team below Bayern.

_Gonzi_ 7 years ago

horrendous is an overstatement. roma and napoli can take our top spot away if juve lose a game and/or tie another. napoli have tied and beat us in the last 2 games. that shows their strength as a team.

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Not questioning Napoli's quality as a team, since I watched them over two legs fighting tooth and nail with Madrid in the 6-2 tie, but in the end they are a second-tier team - not a title challenger.

KTBFFHSWE 7 years ago Edited
Chelsea FC, Sweden 52 2449

Second-tier team.. not a title challenger.. Are you not questioning the quality of the team though?;)

Jokes aside, Serie A has been the most competitive league in the world the last 5 years.. I would never have guessed that Juve would win it in before the season.

Edit: I spell like a 10 year old.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Second-tier team.. not a title challenger.. Are you not questioning the quality of the team though?;)

Jokes aside, Serie E has been the most competitive league in the world the öast 5 years.. I would never have guessed that Juve would win it in before the season.

Golazo111 7 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Napoli and AS Roma did challenge Juventus. In the past it was AC Milan and Inter Milan too.
All those teams can be found in that list of the top 25 spending teams. So Serie A does have a lot of traffic in financial terms.

In Germany, only Wolfsburg can financially challenge Bayern.

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Well, the past 11 winners of Seria A are...

Inter Milan five times in a row...
Juventus five times in a row...
...with a single AC Milan title sandwiched in between.

_Gonzi_ 7 years ago

past 12 la liga titles: 8 barca, 3 real madrid, with atletico sandwiched in between. manchester united also dominates the past 20 years, obviously with billionaires buying clubs. all it takes is a couple of teams in a league being bought for a lot of money to create competition.

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Barcelona is an exception because they were arguably the greatest club team ever. United also dominated, no doubt, but never did a season begin with PL fans thinking "oh the season hasn't even started and we already know United will win". But that's the case with Juventus in the Seria A these past few years.

Golazo111 7 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Real Madrid is the greatest club team ever with the most Champions league titles.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11435

@Golazo Thats actually a opinion, not a fact, if you don't mind me saying. :P But no doubt they are one of the best club in the world and in european competition, that I cannot argue with. :)

Golazo111 7 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

It's a fact don't worry you can check it out just google it, Real Madrid is the greatest club with most European titles.

_Gonzi_ 7 years ago

Real Madrid is the greatest club team ever with the most Champions league titles.
Barcelona is the greatest club team in present time with the most Champions league titles in the last 12 years.

good example to settle this is milan. who have won 7....making them the second greatest club team of all time, but who are clearly not at that level in present time.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11435

@Golazo Ok, let me explain to you the way I see it, yes, Real Madrid is one of the best team in the world at the moment, they are the best team at winning the CL as of today and that I agree are fact. However, no team can alway be the best, they will have poor run of form, lose match and fail to win title at time. Doesn't take anything away from Real, they may be the only team who could beat any team in the world when at their best but I don't consider them to be the greatest ever. They are hovewer the best at winning the CL since its first started, that I agree with you. ;)

Golazo111 7 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

@Emobot7 I understand, I was just talking from a historical point of view like you said, a team wins today but tomorrow another won does the same, it's probably best to remember history but live in the present.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11435

@Golazo111 Agreed, still, Real Madrid is really propably one of the best if only for the longevity of their success, they were one of the first big team in europe and are still one. Some team only have present success while other only have history. Real Madrid can boast to have both. ;)