Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Keep rivalry or support league/country?
nandaYNWA 7 years ago
Liverpool, Australia 87 946

with manchester united playing ajax in the europa league final, an interesting question was raised as i looked at the comment section of the preview.

some people support united (these people being fans of other english teams), while some keep rivalry and hope that they lose. this obviously includes united trolls, whose opinions i am not including in this.

so when a team that would typically be a rival in any other instance plays in the later stages of a competition, do u support them?

personally, i keep the rivalry. i know people will mention coefficients etc but i dont want to see united win trophies hahaha and i assume the same is true of united fans not wanting us to win trophies

did any united fans support us in the europa league final last year?

Comments
nandaYNWA 7 years ago

@JuanMata10, u underestimate the power of money ;)

nandaYNWA 7 years ago

really interesting that most people on here keep the rivalry!

Emrecan_58 7 years ago
Besiktas 149 3375

I'd support them for the coefficients. If we exclude the coefficient factor, I would still support and feel bad while supporting. Supporter's morality is important for me. If I like their fans I'd support, if I don't I wouldn't. I personally like Fenerbahçe supporters more than the others.

Croatian 7 years ago
Bayern Munich, Croatia 23 1323

I'm Bayern fan but I support every German team in UCL/UEL competitions, as well as favoring German NT. I used to not really support any team, however I liked Werder and Bayern much more than any clubs and these are my favorites.

Werder simply produces so many good players without most even noticing it. Marko Marin (however he failed miserably - mainly because of Chelsea), Carlos Alberto (didn't adapt to Europe but was really promising), young Arnautovic when he came from Twente, Diego, Elia (key figure in Feyenoord's success this season), Ozil, Gnabry, Kruse, Klose, Mertesacker... could name a lot more.

That's reason I loved them - players. Same happened with Bayern however I feel like Bayern fan and Werder supporter. And obviously I get excited when German teams have good rows in Europe, Wolfsburg, Schalke, Borussia etc.

amir_keal 7 years ago Edited
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

Anyone who really doesn't care enough to keep rivalry should really question themselves in terms of being a supposed fan of the club.

I feel supporting coefficient should only apply to teams like Leicester or if they aren't local. Madrid Barcelona rivals are huge. Barcelona Espanyol rivals are huge. I thought that United/Arsenal/Chelsea/City/Liverpool were huge but it seems that some people don't understand that meaning.

There's no problem in supporting two teams from the same league unless they are two rivals or two local clubs. If you do, then your definition of support should really be questioned.

There's no such thing as 'supporting' a team for the sake of coefficient. You either betray and accept the fact that you team is shit and can't get far, or you don't support them. Full stop.

If the situation is something like Chelsea vs Bayern then I support none of the two teams. Not because I want Chelsea to win, but Tottenham. In this instance there's nothing at stake affecting another EPL team, so anyone supported EPL fan wanting to support United should question why they are really doing it.

This is what believe, and I hope someone can understand the true nature of a rivalry. The hatred, the love, that can only be one through rivalries.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Anyone who really doesn't care enough to keep rivalry should really question themselves in terms of being a supposed fan of the club.

I feel supporting coefficient should only apply to teams like Leicester or if they aren't local. Madrid Barcelona rivals are huge. Barcelona Espanyol rivals are huge. I thought that United/Arsenal/Chelsea/City/Liverpool were huge but it seems that some people don't understand that meaning.

There's no problem in supporting two teams from the same league unless they are two rivals or two local clubs. If you do, then your definition of support should really be questioned.

There's no such thing as 'supporting' a team for the sake of coefficient. You either betray and accept the fact that you team is shit and can't get far, or you don't support them. Full stop.

If the situation is something like Chelsea vs Bayern then I support none of the two teams. Not because I want Chelsea to win, but Tottenham. In this instance there's nothing at stake affecting another EPL team, so anyone supported EPL fan wanting to support United should question why they are really doing it.

This is what believe, and I hope someone can understand the true nature of a rivalry.

Emrecan_58 7 years ago
Besiktas 149 3375

@amir_keal

Supporting a team for the sake of coefficient is pretty normal. For example in Turkish League, only 2 teams can attend UCL while one of them plays 2 qualifications. Why wouldn't it be 3 teams? What if we finish 3rd? The main reason I support them is that if they have the capacity to increase the League points, they should. That's not only their benefit. That will also serve the other teams in the league.

So you're an Arsenal fan. You played against us 2 years ago in UCL Qualifications. You were almost eliminated. Wouldn't you be sorry if you did? EPL had 4 teams in UCL before (all were starting at the Group Stage). But now 1 of them plays Play-offs to join the others. And that 1 of them usually is your team.

amir_keal 7 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

Emrecan_58

Supporting a team for the sake of coefficient is pretty normal. For example in Turkish League, only 2 teams can attend UCL while one of them plays 2 qualifications. Why wouldn't it be 3 teams? What if we finish 3rd? The main reason I support them is that if they have the capacity to increase the League points, they should. That's not only their benefit. That will also serve the other teams in the league.

True, but then it defeats the point of a rivalry. I believe that it may be a blessing in disguise, it may motivate the teams to finish higher and increase the rivalry even more. Recently, Monreal was criticized for simply shaking United players' hand before the match. This is only going 'nice' and I don't like that.

Also, even if you cared about coefficient, then I also think that you should not be too bothered about the result. The word 'support' is too strong. I understand you follow some leagues more than others, but I do it for the footballing nature and to hope my rivals slip up (kinda).

So you're an Arsenal fan. You played against us 2 years ago in UCL Qualifications. You were almost eliminated. Wouldn't you be sorry if you did? EPL had 4 teams in UCL before (all were starting at the Group Stage). But now 1 of them plays Play-offs to join the others. And that 1 of them usually is your team.

No I actually wouldn't. I say no because we were not the ones to get the automatic spaces. Recently we finished 5th. Do I blame coefficients or our pathetic performances? I'd only really be "sorry" and "annoyed" if we were to be robbed by the referee.

Sorry if I sound arrogant, but if you take out the rivalry nature then the competitive nature and the passion will all go. That is what I believe at least.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

@Amir Player shaking each other hand is fine however, after all, its a sport wich is all about respect, not hatred for the opponent. :P

Golefty 7 years ago Edited
Toronto FC 27 1016

Keep the Rivarly !! Personally I blame Toronto Fc loss to Sounders last season on Montreal fans cheering for us

• History

Keep the Rivarly !! Personally I blame Toronto Fc loss to Sounders last seasonl on Montreal fans cheering for us

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

@Golefty How dare you, after I shed a tear for you as well after the penality shout-out. :P

Golefty 7 years ago
Toronto FC 27 1016

@EMO hahah that was for you :) kidding man hope all is well!

Emobot7 7 years ago Edited
538 11432

@Golefty You're alway in joke aren't you, mate. :P I wish I could say all is well but if you check the MLS table, you'll see I have an huge problem. Montreal Impact performance. We're being really bad right now. :U

• History

@Golefty You're alway in joke aren't you, mate. :P I wish I could say all is well but if you check the MLS table, you'll see I have an huge problem. Montreal Impact performance. We're shite. :U

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

@Golefty You're alway in joke aren't you, mate. :P I wish I could say all is well but if you check the MLS table, you'll see I have an huge problem. Montreal Impact performance. We're being really bad right now. :U

I'd joke, but the Sounders are level on points...

wipes tears with MLS Cup trophy

Emobot7 7 years ago Edited
538 11432

@Sunflash Well, at least your team won something last year. We didn't even reached the final last season, thank you Toronto for that. :U

• History

@Sunflash Well, at least your team won something last year. We didn't even reached the final. :U

Golefty 7 years ago
Toronto FC 27 1016

@sunflash better then wiping your tears with nothing XD like @EMobot7 hahahahaha

Honestly tho losing to Ottawa is was way worse than losing to Montreal or Seattle, I would never support an Ottawa team ever

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

@sunflash better then wiping your tears with nothing XD like @EMobot7 hahahahaha

You really had to rub it in. :(